Hi , have been reading this forum for 2 weeks now and decided to join as the info is informative

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all, Had a Total Knee replacement 17 days ago and now doing out patient therapy 3 times a week.  Everything everyone talks about here ( no sleep, more pain than expected , etc etc is all of my concerns as well ( heat or Ice ??) my question is does anyone have any “great” ideas how to get in a car for your post op appts ? Live alone so rely on friends to take me and pick up for theses appts. Would LOVE LOVE some tips on how to get in and out of the car. ( left knee is the bad knee) but literally I? crawl across the back of the back seat on my butt. Just looking for an easy , less painful way to pick me up without a whole bunch pain and drama. Need to get in the front seat - heard backing the seat up all the way works, any ideas from the is great group of people ? Been following you all for weeks and the stories and advice hit so close to home ,Had to join, thanks for any advise or tips you can give me , XOXO Michelle

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I sit in the front passenger side. I just got in as normal from about a week post op but it's my right knee so don't know if that made it easier. Before that, it was but on seat first then swing both legs in together

• Posted

Hi I'm coming up to 10 weeks post op now. I also had my left knee done which makes it more tricky to get in the passenger side because it is that leg you need to bend to get in. I just literally backed into the car got as far back as possible using upper body weight so that I can clear the door with a fairly straight leg and then just face forward once you're in. The first time I got in I was nearly on the drivers seat 😂. It's a lot easier now that I can drive because you put your bad leg in first so that can be as straight as you like. Good luck sue x

• Posted

Plastic bag on seat makes it easier to slide round! Nice to hear from you! Good healing!
  • Posted

Front seat all the way back I found the best and had to prop op side foot on some cushions in the car as it was too uncomfortable to rest foot on floor - angle all wrong for my knee. I heard someone used a half inflated football to rest on, there are also cushions for travelling that inflate - as used on planes etc. I just used some old house cushions. If someone can help you in and out at first that is an advantage, or you can get a small gadget that fits into the doorway catch and has a handle that levers you up. Best if you can open the door fully to get in and out, so it is easier to swing around. It gets better, but takes time!

• Posted

Hi had full knee and 2 full hips. To get in a car make sure seat is all the way back and fully down. Hav seat leaning back about 20 to 30 degrees. Sit first. Put bum in as far as possible then work the leg in slowly. Get out with legs first and stand up.
  • Posted

The actual answer is "ANY WAY YOU CAN"...  Try different methods and settle on one that causes you the least amount of pain.  Remember...this is all temporary.  You will be back to "normal" before you know it...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.