Hi, I am a 26 years old guy. I am 2 weeks into citalopra...

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, I am a 26 years old guy. I am 2 weeks into citalopram treatment for Social Anxiety Disorder and Severe Depression,the depression possibly solely as a result of S.A.D. I'd been silently suffering for somewhere between 10-16 years.

Good part is I already feel drasticly different in my head, I am no longer in hell, drowning in mental sewerege, my skin doesn't crawl at the thourght of my life anymore. For the first time in my life I feel able to communicate with family and friends and am experiencing what I think is mental clarity!?!

I realise reading the other comments that I am very lucky in this respect and don't wish to be insensitive to people going thru much harder times than my little war. I realy hope every one finds a way to get thru things.

However, although the nausia, dizzyness, confusion side effects are reducing I am now very deeply apathetic to both the good and bad and my libido has vanished.

I am not freekin out and thinking of stopping taking the pills. Its early days for me but if there is anyone out there in a vaugly similar situation or slightly further down the track I'd find it really helpful to strike up a chat and compair notes, so PLEEEEEEZE reply.

Good luck everyone, hang in there :o

[i:13c3190ddf]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:13c3190ddf]

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have been taking Citalopram for about a year - family problems etc. Side effects continued for about six weeks with me but after that disappeared altogether. Feeling much better & able to cope with whatever is thrown at me!

You need to have faith in the medication along with trying to pull yourself out and give yourself small goals to achieve i.e. getting out of bed (always a difficult one for me at the beginning). The only side effects I get now (which is my own fault) is if I forget to take them for a couple of days dizziness & confusion returns.

Keep at it and good luck

:wink:

[i:c1c45d40c9]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:c1c45d40c9]

• Posted

Hi,

I have been on Citalopram for around 9 or 10 months now - originally on 20Mg for acute depression. I was lucky I guess in that my side effects were limited (felt floaty/lacking any stresses etc) but that didn't take long to settle down and it wasn't long before I returned to my workable state. I have progressed with counselling and have now not only reduced the dose to 10Mg, but am now taking it only on alternate days (something my body is still coming to terms with!). Am getting the odd feeling of despair and instability but then I've just moved house/changed jobs so if I've survived that then anything is possible.

Hang in there - Citalopram has helped me significantly and with any luck will be beneficial to you too - feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss anything further...and no, I am nothing to do with any companies manufacturing/selling this product !

Best wishes to all !:ok:

[i:d14b9623d7]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:d14b9623d7]

• Posted

I am a 47 year old female and have been on citalopram for 5 years for anxiety panic attacks and depression {which came out of the blue at the time, but now i understand why} and I've never looked back. The tablets helped a lot to get my life back on track, I have had to do a lot of work on myself to control the anxiety, but citalopram has also helped me make it easier to do. At first i thought i didn't want to be on anti-depressants long term, their is such a stigma about anti- depressants, but my thoughts on them have changed to if i had a heart problem, diabetis or any other long term physical illness i would have to take pills for the rest of my life, well i have a mental illness, a chemical inbalence in my brain, so if one tablet a day helps to give me a better quality of life then so be it. I'm glad your starting to feel better on them, just give them a bit more time, but you have do some work on yourself as their not magic, all the best to you. :ok:

[i:418790dfb8]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:418790dfb8]

• Posted

I am a 34 year old female and have been on citalopram for 5 weeks for anxiety panic attacks and depression.i have side efect and in the morning i feel very tens but i hope citalopram is gone work for me too!sad

[i:475d61632d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:475d61632d]

• Posted

IVE BEEN ON CITOLPRAM FOR 4 YEARS AND LAST WEEK DECIDED TO GO TO THE DOCTOR AND ASK TO COME OFF

KNOWING THIS IS A GRADUALE PROCESS I WAS TAKING 20MG, BUT FOR THE NEXT 3 WEEKS IM DOWN TO 10MG AND THEN FOR THE NEXT 4 WEEKS ONE EVERY DAY, AND THEN 1 A WEEK.

IF THERE IS ANYONE IN THE SAME POSITION PLEASE GET IN CONTACT TO TELL ME HOW YOU ARE FEELING. THIS IS MY FIRST WEEK ON THE REDUCED AMOUNT, AND I HAVE ONE OR TWO SIDE EFFECTS AND WOULD BE GRATEFUL IF I CAN COMPARE THESE WITH OTHERS.

CHEERS

MARTYsmile

[i:d4d52b17cf]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:d4d52b17cf]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.