Hi I have suffered from depression since I was in my 30s and I am now in my 60s with two grandchildr

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have suffered from depression since my 30s now in my 60s. At times it was so bad I wanted to end my life.I did not have the courage to do it, and I am so glad I didn't for I have had two grandchildren and a good life. At present I am suffering from a deep depression, I can't believe at this moment it will go. I Would doalmost anything to get ride.of it. But I wont kill myself, I know with time it.will pass. When your in it its hard to believe, but hang on in there there will be days of joy again. Ian

1 like, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

You are so right. There will be days of joy again....for sure! It is hard to believe that when you aren't well. I am still recovering from my depression and it hasn't been easy. Keep fighting!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi John, thanks for your support, the sense of the depression lifting is beginning, for some reason with me it can't be hurried. I long for it to be over, it will go. Its great to know that there are fellow travelers. Keep up the good fight. Ian
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello Ian, I am glad you didn't have the courage to end your life. No matter how hard it gets or how dark it is we need to carry on. Your grandchildren are a great joy and need you. I have suffered depression for all of my adult life and i have two lovely grandchildren. I would never kill myself, thou there are times i feel like it, the reason being my husband and nephew both commited suicide and i know the pain left behind. I could never do that to my daughters and grandchildren. Cherish every moment with your grandchildren, it's such a special relationship with them. Keep strong.

Best wishes.

Elizabeth.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Elizabeth, your journey seems similar to mine appart from you terrible loss. those of us suffering from depression are a very special community of very strong folk, stay strong and proud of yourself your grandchildren have a terrific granma.ian
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Depression and anxiety disorders are horrible.

Tell me, are you being treated by your GP for this, or are you trying to ride-it out on your owm?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Well you are dealing with it in the correct way and clearly being treated by your doctor, nevertheless it must be awful for you.

There is little I can add other than, do hang in there because the day will come when that black cloud will lift and there will be sunshine (some of the time) underneath it.

x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Well I have suffered depression all my life and never had kids so will never have grandkids so you are one up on me.   x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello.  I have had depression for nigh on 30 years and am now in my 70s.  You and I have fought for all these years, and that is why I tell people here who want to give up that things can improve.  That depression is up and down.  Good days and bad days. 

You are right when we are in really deep low we think it will never go away.  You and I are fighters.  We both know that with time the bad down will go and there willbe light again.  It is a matter of riding out the low times. 

I suppose because you and I have had depression for so long we understand it more, but it must be very frightening for the young people who are experiencing it for the first time. 

I do hope you begin to feel better soon.  I know exactly how you are feeling. 

I took an overdose once and I can remember the look on my daughter's face, the tears streaming, and I had a new grandchild then.  That grandchild is 23 years old now and I have three others.  They are worth living for.  My dear granddaughter who is 21 saw me in a very tearful and distressed state at Christmas, and she was lovely to me.  First time she has seen me like that.  I don't want my family to worry about me.

Take care and I am thinking of you.  I am not too bad today.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up