Hi, I’m new, just taken my first dose of citalopram

Posted , 8 users are following.

Feeling terrified of all the horrible side effects I keep reading about.  Trying hard not to focus on it because I know I will end up freaking out and I only took the damn thing an hour ago.  Today I took the plunge and phoned my boss to spill my guts about anxiety and depression,  utterly mortified to ask for some time off to start meds and deal with my head but it had to be done.   Looking for a little support group and well ..... here I am.   Any words of encouragement greatly appreciated.  X

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Welcome Laura, come here when u feel the need. Great bunch of caring folk here with great advice and support  😉

Just dont give up if you feel really bad ok, we're all different. Some get it worse than others, I'm still pretty rough 5 weeks in but that's me! Wishing you the smoothest ride possible through the initial side effects.  I'm starting my sixth week tomorrow and I'm sticking this out. We're all in this together x

• Posted

Hi manny

Thank you so much.  I can’t wait to be 6 weeks in and turning a corner.   I will absolutely not give up, I know it will get better.   X

• Posted

Some people tolerate the drug and it works fairly quickly, people with anxiety can find it quite hard to get on them as they can initially spike the anxiety which it is treating, this is transient even if it doesn't feel like it at the time. They can take up to 8-12 weeks to begin to work but for some people it happens much quicker. I'm near the end of my 7th week and I'm not as tired but not back to normal yet.

• Posted

Hi mark 

Yeh I think because anxiety is my main issue more than depression, it’s a spike in my anxiety.  That makes sense I guess. I am so glad I found this place, it’s so reassuring to just be able to chat to real folk going through the same crap.   X

• Posted

Yep totally agree with u Laura, we are more likely to understand how each other is feeling here than even our nearest and dearest at home. It's reassuring isn't it. A good use of the internet amongst so much bad that it's used for.

• Posted

It will settle and then you'll recover, it's difficult to put a timescale on it but the first month is the hardest for anxiety sufferers. I've been on and off them a few times and they always work eventually.

• Posted

I tried citalopram years ago, only took one tablet and I remember shaking like a total wreck and having horrendous thoughts and I was so out of it.   I think I’m hindsight mybdoc prob gave me a higher strength to start on and I was already in such a state it was just too much.   This is why I am so scared to start this drug but this time the doc started me on 10mg and my anxiety is no where near ad bad as I was last time. The first day this time was manageable, a few spells of uncomfortableness with high anxiety, a headache and jittery so much better than the last time I experienced a first day in citalopram.   I really hope this is the drug for me.   X
    • Posted

10mg is a good starting dose, it's possible you won't need to go up from there.

• Posted

That would be an ideal scenario for me, yes I will take that thanks very much lol smile
  • Posted

Hi Laura, this group is very supportive. I was on cit for years before forgetting to take mine but back on and I am week 6 xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.