Hi. I'm new to this forum and hip replacements.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had a THR 12 days ago and would love suggestions as to how to cope with buttock cramp after doing some of the exercises - it is so painful that I have to stop. I'm a sufferer from cramp anyway and on quinine on a daily basis. Also it would be good to hear what is 'average' recovery at this stage and then weekly through to 6 and then 13 weeks. I'm on crutches, managing stairs and can walk a little using one crutch only - but not for long. I'm following the physios advice re exercise but any tips would be very helpful. Thanks

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Welcome,

I am 5"weeks post op and recovery has been a very slow and steady . Don't over do . Ice ice ice , is my advice.

I am thankful for this forum it's helpful knowing I am not alone.

Hope you find your answers. Good luck and every day it gets easier.

• Posted

hi pippy, 

warm welcome to this forum of hippies -

As you probably know, 12 days post-op is still early days in recovery from this major invasive surgery ..and we heal at our pace, darling --- some of us here sail right through the post-up period , however most of us take a bit longer - 

one of the best advices I got was to not compare myself to others (not even to my own recovery when faced with 2nd THR surgery) - 

You might still want to use 2 crutches when going outside ... your body has been beaten up and healing from the damages done - everything is still so fragile around the wound ... you might have been compensating the way you walk before hip surgery and to learn to walk properly is very challenging - finding your balance, keeping it and then walk ... wow ... 

hence the pain in the butt ...

I never used crutches but had a 4 wheeled walker, aka rollator - much easier to get around with -

one of our valued forum members, Graham, aka Rocketman has created a wonderful website -

please visit: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-

scroll down to  487147 - and of course, you can always come back here with any questions or concerns ....

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee. This forum is really helpful and I'm overwhelmed with the responses I've had. Thank you all. I'm improving daily

• Posted

Hi Pippy

So sorry to hear about your cramps.  I have always linked cramp with Magnesium phosphate deficiency, and I take routinely (on advice from a nutritional therapist) a teaspoon of magnesium powder in a glass of water every day.  It also really gives you a good sleep if you take it before bed. Useful post-op!

I had my right THR six weeks ago and the only problem I've got now is a crampy feeling at the back/top behind my right thigh when I walk, so I have upped the magnesium a bit, but I think the problem is actually stuck tissues below the scar, so I'm going for my first clinical massage today.  The therapist won't touch the scar until I have had my review on 8 May but she will start to work around it on the glute muscles, legs and maybe other areas, just to release tension anywhere she finds it.

I will let the forum know how I get on.

I don't think there is an average recovery time, but you will gradually feel better, less sore, get more mobility, until at 6 weeks you could be walking with one crutch or none.

Best of Luck! So many good wishes - 

Rose

• Posted

Thank you, Rose and to everyone else who has added helpful ideas and hints. I will definitely try the magnesium as I've had leg cramps for years as well. It would be great if something as simple as taking extra magnesium helps.

I'm now day 15 post surgery and doing much better. I really don't need the high levels of painkillers so have cut them back a bit - against advice but it seems to be having a positive effect. My physio keeps telling me to take it slowly but I so want to be crutch free in time for my step son's wedding which is 4 weeks tomorrow that I'm being very careful but doing what I can. My youngest granddaughters, 9 year old identical twins will be flower girls and I would love to be simply fit and healthy for the day itself. Fingers crossed.

• Posted

that is a good incentive, darling ... but your PT is right ... it is very easy to overdo it - you body took a beating and is healing the damages done .. it is all very fragile and too much pressure will weaken the cloth, so to speak .. so take it slow at this time ... stand up and straighten your posture - finding your balance might be challenging as there is a lot involved in just that - 

you will get there and off crutches -- you might still need a cane or something to aid you and there is nothing wrong with that --- 

as for the pain killers, good for you that you can do without them, but please, when you are in pain, go back ...

be gentle and kind with yourself Pippy - no need to be hard and harsh -

take deep breaths and relax the muscles -- they will be so grateful ..

angel blessings

• Posted

Hi,  I only had half hip replacement so can't give advice but I joined this forum a few days ago and it's been so helpful.  You will get good advice and it's great knowing you're not on your own!  Good luck with recovery.

• Posted

Good luck to you Carol. I'm finding this forum very helpful - I only joined it a few days ago too. Hope you recover quickly

• Posted

Hi

Sorry to hear your suffering with pain.

It's so early days, I would take it week by week, I found this easier and more realistic. It's quite a slow progress however after the initial 2 weeks, you will find each week improvement.

Keep icing after exercising and stay on top of pain relief, don't let the pain come to you first.

I personally found I had a breakthrough at 3,6 and 9 weeks post op.

I was a little slow and came off crutches at 7 weeks, went onto a stick and used thus for a week only.

We all recover at different rates, keep posotive, sounds like you're making good progress,hope you keep recovering well and your Cramond pain goes soon

Regards

Nicky

• Posted

Thanks Nicky. I'm glad to hear you're improving and hope it continues. I'm feeling so much better today - day 15 - than I did only a few days ago. The pain is lessening and I can do more each day. As I've replied to some others I'm hoping to be off crutches within the next 4 weeks so I can attend my stepsons wedding without any aids - if possible. All 6 of my grandchildren will be there along with my children and their spouses and my two youngest granddaughters, ID twins are flower girls and I so want to be on my feet without help! Fingers crossed.

• Posted

Hi Pippy

I am still awaiting my hip replacement. Preop is next week. I was just about to suggest the same as Rose. Magnesium. I have always suffered from cramp. Swimming. Writing. And in bed it wakes me up. And discovered magnesium citrate before bed helps tons. The cheaper magnesium oxide doesnt work for me but the citrate does. My husband sleeps much better if he sprays on the magnesium oil before bed and he can me prone to restless legs but helps that. Trial and eror, and type Rose takes too. Apparently magnesium is a muscle relaxant and we are often low in it. Sounds like you are making very good progress though. Take care.

• Posted

Hi and thanks. Someone else has also suggested magnesium so I'm definitely going to try it. Everyone on this forum is so helpful and it's really good to know help and advice is so readily available.

As I replied to another I'm really keen to be crutch free in 4 weeks time when my stepson gets married with my youngest granddaughters, identical twins, being flowergirls. I'm probably just being vain but I want to be crutch and stick free, if only for the day itself, that I'm trying very hard to get back on my feet. I'm so much better now than I was even 3 days ago that steady and persistence seems to be working.

• Posted

I forgot to wish you luck when you have your surgery. I'm sure you'll be fine. Keep us updated on the forum

• Posted

I have just checked and the magnesium powder I take is indeed "Ionic magnesium citrate (created from a highly absorbable proprietary blend of citric acid and magnesium carbonate)". What I have always taken before that was a soft tablet called Mag Phos, several times a day or as needed.

Hope you try it and it gives you some relief.

Rose

• Posted

Hello Rose

ah there you go. Citrate for you too. I read the type you have, ionic is really good and absorbable, though only seen it in magnesium citrate tablets. They do work a treat and definitely help me sleep, though it might be no toe cramps to wake me...wish it worked for hip pain too Lol..

• Posted

Hi Rose. I'm going to ask my husband to find these ionic magnesium citrate tablets or powder tomorrow. Apart from the cramps I'm improving daily. Thanks for your support. Pip

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.