Hi just joined the group and advice please

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi just gone back to work after TKR in Aug . Having so much pain & stiffness when does it get easier ?

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

It does get easier. I am 17 weeks post and still have issues with pain and stiffness. It's just not all day, just mainly when I don't move around. Actually tonight will be first night of crossfit. Can't wait

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am 21 weeks. It is starting to improve. Just keep icing it and if your muscles are tight in the back use heat. Doc told me, as did Chico Marx, it can take up to 12-18 months. Be sure to stretch and strengthen the muscles too. Be patient - yeah that's the hard part!!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Janna, welcome!

I am at 12 months post op two knees replaced on Mar 21 2016. For me, the pain has reduced and the stiffness has remained. I stood up on a train for 40 mins yesterday (no seats) and walked for about 20 minutes. Stairs and exercises and I am paying for it today.

I do not know anyone who has returned to a perfect, pain free, active life after knee replacement surgery but I am hopeful! I am off to gym for weights and bike. We need to do whatever it takes to regain fitness.

Good luck. xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Is it worth haing this surgery  - do you regret it? As I have read msny posts that state yes, it is difficult, may be up to a year healing, but worth it in the end. I'm not sure, I have pain and stiffness now and would hope that would reduce post op, but I see it takes time.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi. I'm only 6 weeks post op and not in too much pain . Just blows up stiff if i overdo it, and bend happening very slowly! But friend of mine had 1 knee done 2 years ago and is a serious cyclist. He does easliy what many say is impossible. We live in New Zeaand and he's about to cycle a couple of very serious routes (not for the faint hearted!) So don't give up, it will happen, just don't overdo it suddenly. Build up little and often so I'm told all the time! Good luck

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi. Its 2 years since i had mine but i still cant walk any distance and hurts when i walk up and down stairs.. my other one is psinful now but wouldnt get it done for a while. . The only pain free time i get is when im still.or in bed.. still glad i got it done though
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Angela, thanks for reply. I just needed opinions from people in same position. I quite honestly can say wish I hadn't had it done. I'm finding work hard now and in constant pain . Are you still taking pain relief ?

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Unfortunately, nobody can really say when things get better because for everyone it is different.  Many people say a year. . but for many it is much sooner and for other later!  At seven months, like you,  I was pretty much over the pain. Still lots of stiffness, though . . .but it shouldn't go on for ever. and perhaps you should go back and get them to check that there is no problem.  Probably the return to work, with a change of routine etc. is what is making it worse at the moment. . .

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

"When does it get easier?"  Ahhh, Grasshopper...it gets easier when it's easier...

There is no timetable and if you have one in your head, get rid of it...

http://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-recovery-bell-curve--563756

These may also help...

http://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

http://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-and-ptsd-569521

Welcome to the club, Kneebie...

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies folks x
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up