hi. newly diagnosed and scared.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been displaying symptoms for 3 months now, but only today got the diagnosis. I feel scared and alone and isolated. I'm tired of feeling sick all the time and having no life and just laying in bed and crying due to the sickness and pain. None of my friends understand and it's taking a toll on my mental health. How do I accept what's happening to me?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Take it one day at a time, educate yourself on how this disease will effect you. Whatever medicines they give you see what the side effects are. That's what I had to do. I have chronic pain and believe me I couldn't move for a couple of days. The key is to educate yourself. I hope that helps you.

• Posted

After doing some research, I asked my doc to test my Total and Free Carnitines, vitamin D and Magnesium.  These amino acids, vitamins and minerals are normally found in the body but tend to get deficient in hyperthyroid patients and doctors either do not know about this or don't care because that is the way they are trained.  So I let my doc deal with the medication dosage and I dealt with the supplements and it worked out very well for me.  Doctors tend to push RAI especially and sometimes surgery but I was determined I would keep my thyroid and I have.  Am now in remission.

• Posted

I was the same way just 5 weeks ago. Hang in there as bad as it is it DOES get better!
  • Posted

Hi!

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in 2014. My symptoms were very very bad.

Physically: All my body was in pain, I couldn't move. Fast heart hate(140 per minute when resting 180 when walking or moving), shaking hands, hair loss, weight loss, muscle loss.

Emotionally: Insomnia that I could not sleep at all for days, anxiety, anguish, nervous, irritability, depression.

Eyes: building eyes, swelling eye lids, doble and blurring vision, dried and painful eyes.

All these symptoms drove me crazy! Trust me, I couldn't explain in words what I was feeling.

After some time in treatment and right medication dosage I got better day by day. For my eyes since April I had two surgeries for fix my vision and the ugly looking of my eyes. In April, after surgery I was able to see normally finally! My vision was fixed but my eyes was looking weird. I couldn't take any picture without sunglasses to hide how ugly it was. The last surgery in my eyes was only 4 days ago and I already see a great difference for better. I think it is close to the normal looking and I am so excited to see the final result.

I am telling this for you see that what you are feeling now is temporary. There is no cure for Hyperthyroidism but there is a cure for your symptoms with the right medication for you. It takes some time but I know you will feel normal like I fell now so just hang on and be patient. You will be fine. Also try to educate yourself about this decease and be aware about any change in your vision. See what Linda says about Carnitine. It helped me a lot too.

Good look!!!!

• Posted

I feel your pain having felt exactly the same way! For me, it took time. Once your symptoms are improved and you are able to research and listen to other people who have had the disease and are leading full lives, will you start to feel relief. I once read of the Spoon Theory (or something like that) which helped me cope. It was started by a young woman with an autoimmune disease. She noted that each day we have a degree of energy to expend and we have to make choices unfortunately. So if you overdo on Monday, you may feel the results on Tuesday, etc. It is scary, but you must empower yourself as much as possible. If you are unhappy with your medical treatment, at the very least, get other opinions. I wish you better days, hang in there, it does take time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.