Hiatal hernia

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just bin told I have a hernia and gastritis, does this give u a sensation of of phelm in your throat  and a sharp pain in my chest. They gave me no med

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello!

Earlier this year I was diagnosed with exactly the same and yes unfortunately the phlegm in the throat is due to gastritis / acid reflux. The chest pain is also the gastritis. Hiatal hernias are usuallh pretty much symptomless.

Your doctor could put you on ppi's for acid control, you should probably ask them about it. As far as the chest pain goes stick to paracetamol. Aspirin and Ibruprofen will really irritate your stomach!

• Posted

Hi Abbie bin on ppi on and off for the last 2years to no effect  and a sharp pain wen breathing in, then the pain goes if I breath in very hard, but the minute I cough it's back
  • Posted

Your hiatus hernia will be exacerbating reflux.

If you have gastritis, it could be due to H-Pylori bactrium or acid over-secretion.

Various different tests exist for H-Pylori including a simple breath test. If you have been tested and found positive, you should be prescribed a course of a couple of different antibiotics.

If you have acid hyper-sectretion, you should be prescribed acid suppressant medication, probably omeprazole.

Chest pains may have various causes. The first immediate test is for your heart. Once this is ruled out, it's likely to be from reflux of acid. Acid suppressant medication should reduce this.

Phlegm in the thorat may be due to various stimuli but it sounds as if in your case it's reflux. Anything form the stomach (acid or not) refluxing into the oesophagus via the lower oesophageal sphincter weakened by the presence of a hiatus hernia, can travel full column and breach the upper oesophageal sphincter. This extra-oesophageal reflux can aspirate into the respiratory system causing damage.

In Irritating the throat, bronchi etc, extra mucous (plegm) is produced as a protective measure and to help expel the foreign particles.

Unfortunately, although there are medicines to reduce acid, there are no medicines to reduce reflux - this is something you have to manage yourself:

Lose weight if necessary, avoid overfilling your stomach (eat little and often). Avoid exercise after food that compresses the abdomen. Avoid tight clothing. Leave at least 3 hours between your last meal and bed. Raise the head of your bed 6 to 8 inches on blocks.

• Posted

Hi, got tested for h- pylori  it was clear, bin teasted for the lot heart was all clear, bin on omeprazole and laprazole but the don't seem to do much

Bin on them for the last 2 years on and off to no effect and constantly have to clear my throat seen to be going round and round

• Posted

Constant throat clearing because of excess mucous production due to extra-oesophageal reflux is one of the most common reflux symptoms.

Try the reflux reduction tips.

For me, I had to have reflux reduction surgery (fundoplication).

Read more about extra-oesophageal reflux on the DownWithAcid org uk site. You'll find it listed in the contents (home) page if you scroll down beneath the main Reflux heading.

• Posted

Yes, my husband had the same symptoms. I believe it was Lodger who suggested lemon juice before meals.  Put the lemon in microwave for a minute -this will get you more juice and the same lemon should get you through a day.  If I'm wrong about anything Lodger can correct me.

it works for my husband.

• Posted

Surprised they didn't give you something. There are many OTC remedies available without a prescription. Did they give you a diet to follow?
  • Posted

from what ive read stateside,hiatal hernia can worsen gerd that previously was under control with ppi. in other words if you were getting by pretty good on ppi before the new hernia development or a worsening of an already existing hernia it could cause trouble with the medications helping you. sort of fits my profile rven though ive never been diagnosed as having a hernia i suspect one due to reflux coming up just bending over where previously that never happened. the pocket of herniated stomach must be pooling reflux that is easily pushed up versus a smaller hernia or not having one at all.
    • Posted

Hi. 

I've bin on ppi but to no effect  I reflux quite oftern after meals,  waiting to be put on a different meds find out tomorrow  bin like this for nearly two years now and only just got the right diagonis 

• Posted

im refluxing a lot also. my appointment to see a gi got bumped to December so i have to wait it out. throat sore a lot plus throat clearing and off and on cough. some chest discomfort. my ppi plus ranatidine has had little effect as well.
    • Posted

I simperzize with u. Bin the docs back on omeprazole to what effect who knows, so will have to wait till the 10th of November 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.