Hiatus hernia?

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi there. I'm new on here.

Was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia last year. All started when I thought I was getting palpitations on my left side. Wasn't painful but I knew something wasn't right.

It's like a spasm that happens now and again. I went for heart scans and ultra sound. Was finally sent for a camera down throat to find out what was wrong.

Hiatus hernia was diagnosed. The weird thing is that I down get the acid reflux. I burp a lot and get a burning sensation in my back and right buttock sometimes. I also get pains in my feet.

Doctor says that foot pains are not related.

I've been on all the normal tablets but they don't do anything. I find it comes on worse with stress. My throat feels like it's closing up at times and feels dry.

I feel like I get a gnawing pain in my left side. I sometimes feel really bloated and struggle to bend over without supporting myself.

My energy levels seem to be low at times. I went from cycling 30-50 miles at weekends to keep fit, to now doing nothing because I feel tired.

Does anyone else have I haitus hernia without the acid reflux? My doctor keeps going on about taking tablets to control the acid but I don't have this reflux problem.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hernia is not a result of acid reflux and doesn't have to be associated. I do have silent reflux, but it would become full reflux if I was to put on fat and grow a belly. I think I have hernia too, haven't been diagnosed, but I get pain in throat and buzzing in ears whenever I sit bending forward, or position my body in such a way that puts pressure on my belly. Only one time I got palpitations when I ate and slept on my left side, it felt so weird. I am yet to get an endoscopy.
  • Posted

Steve sorry to read about you having a HH and now having problems because of it.

I thought I had one but after having an endoscopy they did not diagnose me as having one even though I am getting Acid Reflux.

What is interesting about some of your symptoms is that I too get pains in my feet but I haven not given too much thought to it until you mentioned it.

With regard to the gnawing pain in your left side its something I have had for literally years and it comes and goes. When I mentioned this to the doctor he sought of dismissed it out of hand. I am convinced that I have problems with my osophorgas lower sphincter but not one seems to want to confirm that so what do I know.

I also understand about the lack of energy as well because I too feel like that at times and like you it rattles me because I am a runner and cyclist. I am still trying to do both and with regard to your bike if the bars are too low and you are scrunching your stomach that could be causing you problems.I have put a more upright stem on mine and although it may not look cool its definitely made riding more comfortable.

If your doctor is recommending pills for acid reflux I would definitely say give them a try but if he is recommend " happy pills " like mine initially did then refuse them as your problem is physical rather than mental.

All the best Ted

• Posted

Yes sir. I have the same issues. Managing your stress will greatly improve condition. Pills are a waste and will only make things worse.
  • Posted

I had an endoscopy last May cause I had reflux and burning after eating.  Doc said I had hiatul hernia and acid reflux and put me on pantaprazole.  I took it for a few months and got sudden diahrea last October landed in the hospital.  They did every test and no diagnosis except maybe IBS although they say at my age (64) its rare.  Usually get IBS at a younger age. I get these bouts when I am stressed or nervous and then when its done abdominal pains in waves.  It is awful.  I have a pill to take for the cramping but it constipates and causes more problems, so what to do? what to do?  Doc wants me to start Prozak and I am debating cause I just don't need another pill.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up