Hiatus Hernia

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello

On Thursday I had an endoscopy and results are I have a hiatus hernia not big enough for surgery and apparently this is what causing my acid reflux. Just wondering if anyone with a hiatus hernia ever gets a tight chest like someone is sitting on them and not getting enough oxygen?  Or pain in chest walls?  I have bee getting this for 5 years now on and off and I don’t know what to do about. It freaks me out. I keep thinking it’s my heart but my heart has been tested. Anyone have similarity?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

They determined you had a hiatus hernia from the endoscopy right then and there or you had to wait a couple weeks for the results to find that out?
  • Posted

Yes that's completely normal. I also have a 1cm sliding hiatus hernia. Although it shouldn't matter how big or small it is.... Talk to a surgeon......

• Posted

Is the tightness in your upper chest or below your breastbone/sternum? I have pressure below my sternum and It feels like trapped air. I have had two endoscopies in the last few months and they didn’t find a hiatal hernia but sometimes I wonder if it could have been missed.
    • Posted

I feel pressure on my whole chest. Feels like someone is sitting on it.  Doubt they can miss a hernia and if you have scope done twice than most likely you don’t have a hiatus hernia
    • Posted

Dr. Didn’t say sphincter was weak.  What is a motility test?  Do you get the same symptom as me from a hiatus hernia 
  • Posted

You need to Google esophageal motility test. Yes I have a 1cm sliding hiatus hernia. It causes me all sorts of pain. Chest, back , painful swallowing , sternum.... You need the motility test and the pH study done before you find out whether surgery is the best option or not. Do your research and get hold of a GI surgeon.
    • Posted

I will do my research but doubt I need to speak to a surgeon.  I could eat and swallow fine.  I just the chest tightness and pain plus acid reflux 
  • Posted

Same here, but no hernia,wind pipe hurts, burns, sign of acid reflux? Green, brown mucous coming up, especially in the morning, throat very dry! 2,3 years now, you'll be lucky if you get the operation on the NHS. 

• Posted

Hi Mary,

I'm going to assume you're in the UK.

I'm afraid you're not going to get anywhere, and you're going to be left in limbo by doctors, unless you push for the next step, a motility test to check the valve.

Even tiny hernia sliding in and out of the chest can cause GERD and also massive chest/back/shoulder discomfort. They are really played down and ignored by medics and shouldn't be. 

I have a small hiatus hernia but it could well be causing my GERD/LPR symptoms since January this year. I also have non stop chest discomfort with it, and a sore throat.

But unless you make the appointments and state your case, in your case several years of chest discomfort, conventional medicine will do s0d all about it. 

Once you get your motility test and the valve checked, you'll be able to look at surgery options if ou feel you want an end to the pain and don't want to be on medication for life. Otherwise, it's medication for life. And these PPIs are not for everyone. They slap everyone on PPIs without even looking into what is causing gastro problems in many cases. 

So go armed with what you want to the docs. If your pain is getting too much or going on for too long, despite diet/lifestyle changes, and if you express you do not want to be taking drugs for life, then you are entitled to ask for further testing and surgery if needs be, should you desire it. A loose valve and small heria (below 2-3m) can be dealth with via Stretta or Linx procedures and even I suspect a Fundo if you fit other criteria like bringing up a lot of acid or there is acid damage. 

In the meantime look up Pam Fox Wonder Vegan on YouTube who has lots of videos on how she (claims) to have cured her own hiatus hernia with breathing and gentle kneading exercise of the stomach area. She comes across as a lovely lady who speaks reassuringly that there are things you can do to get your hernia to drop and strengthen the diaphragm through breathing techniques. 

I've been diaphragm breathing for months now and my symptoms have reduced greatly. I was spitting up froth like I had rabies back in March and in constant agony in my chest. It's not perfect but it has vastly improved since. Good luck. 

• Posted

Totally agree, I respect the NHS staff! But a GP will load you up with PPI'S, an operation? Forgot it! I had a groin hernia!!!  They called it a wait and see!!!!  2 weeks of my feet! Oh go on the sick! Had to take out A credit card and go private. 

• Posted

Hi SassBox1

I am in Canada not UK. I don’t m ow what a motility test is but will search it up and ask my dr. For it.  The dr. Who did my endoscopy said I don’t need surgery my hernia is not to big. I have a follow up appt. In May to discuss more. I do not take ppis unless it’s to horrible to handle. And I will only take as needed. I use Gaviscon when needed. I just can’t understand how the digestive can give me chest pressure as if I’m having a heart attack and some time pain. Still trying to understand that but keep thinking it’s my heart. Grrrrr I will look up the YouTube video you suggested and see if it helps me at all. What worries me about the hernia is I read it can get strangled. Freaks me out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.