Hiatus hernia just diagnosed. Anxious about the test results i have just had done?

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I had to call shropdoc last night i have been in so much pain of late re upper abdomen & continuing fullness without eating, cant eat hardly at present

I went to see my gp very recently and i have had pains in chest with numbness & pins/needles. Gp sent me for blood tests& an xray of my chest & i had an ecg trace that day also. However, after looking into the above i am concered about Osphageal ?cancer. I had my gallbladder out a couple of years ago. I have been on Omeprazole for years, i can't remember how long? I was originally put on this medication due to repeat inflammation of the osphagus. I had to sit upright all night, docs advice with doubling up of medication. Very worried about possible cancer after what i have read. Help. Results still to come back.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Cancer of the oesophagus is quite rare and the PPI has beeen protecting you.

Google Manuka honey as that helps many people as it puts a protective lining on the oesophagus.

• Posted

I am feeling a bit over sensitive. 2 of my neighbours, husband & wife died from it.Thanks for your reply.
  • Posted

hello if it's of any help i too thought the same with my symptoms but my GP reassured me that if it was oeosphagul cancer i would not be able to eat or drink anything (it would all come back up) and my weight would plummet.  At the moment i am being investigated for my symptoms.  I had a scan yesterday and i was convinced i had gallstones but i don't have them.  I am going for an endoscopy next week.  I've suffered from GORD for 12 years and take Omeprazole (I'm on 40mg daily).   I am wondering whether i too may have a hiatus hernia but i don't have the symptoms you describe above.  My symptoms are very mild upper abdominal pains which usually start from mild pin prick type pain under my right rib, i have also had a feeling of pressure underneath my right shoulder blade, i also belch a lot whether i eat or drink anything or not.  My appetite seems unaffected.  Does anyone have any ideas? 
    • Posted

I too belch alot

My medication changes a lot

They gave me ranatidine, Omeprazole, laparazole..

Tablets for bads feeling tablets you name it i got it.. the doctors told me if the pills not helping which its not. Then would do a key hole operation because the diaphram in my stomach is open and thatcause me to be fill with air.. they said after the endoscopy that when i eat the food is not going where it suppose to go..

But i am confused and worried because i am getting different diagnosis..

• Posted

I have been having this problem since my baby was 4 months old

I have been on So much different medication its unbelievable. First they said it was acid reflux

Did endoscopy they said it was hitatus hernia, did scan and they said that they saw stones about 2 cm

Now i am getting the pain 2 to 3 times per week which is not good at all

I am schedule for another scan on the 24 of april.

So i am been treated for hernia and gallstones at the same time.. which is really bad when i am not sure Whats wrong with me

• Posted

Hi, Earlier this year I went to GP with lump in throat and sore pain down into oesophagus following virul tonsilitis and then a chest infection, I constantly had to keep coughing and still do get a tight dry cough sometimes, I told her I was convinced it was cancer. I have taken esomeprazole 40mg for 8 years, now currently on 20mg as some sites say esomprazole can cause it, other sites say PPI protect against it, she said it was not cancer as I had an endoscopy within last 10 years (what that has to do with things I do not know) and she said that as I was eating really well if it was cancer I would be being sick constantly. I got myself into such a state over it and having calmed down and tried to forget it, it has calmed down. My GP also said cancer is painless, which is worrying as that is not want to read cancer patients saying,
    • Posted

I change medication its unbelievable

Going for another scan on friday..

Hopefully they can tell me what is really happening. Because each time i visit my surgery each doctor i see has a different diagnosis and then different medication..

• Posted

No.. sometimes when i call to make an appointment the doctor that i would regularly see are not always on duty

I did another scan yesterday and was toldits the same result as the one before. she said that i should let them get me to do a MRI where they can have a better look and see Whats happening

• Posted

I'm interested to know what your diet has consisted of for the past few years, i mean what do you eat on an average day please.

Thanks.

• Posted

Hi, funny enough ive been eating a lot of salads,fruit,omlette.? I cut out bread mo -fri. I ve been having a small amount @weekend for a treat. Mainly small pieces of wholemeal. Bran flakes/weetabix for breakfast. Odd packet of snacks. Veg. Chicken wraps with peppers & red onion, now & again. None of this since last fri . Barely eating very little. Soup. 1 slice toast. & an omlette? at the most.

This is what i have been eating for about 3 months prior. Uuuuummm little wine

But not this week, ive given it up hoping that i will feel better .. past years a bit different - odd takeaway say once a week. Salad. Chicken mainly. Rare roast lunch. Snacks. Bacon grilled once a week & egg cooked in various ways. Fruit.

• Posted

Mo,

I know everyone is different but i found when i was struggling with it, i would do the same thing. I'd feel fine so i'd do the treat thing, thinking it's only one it can't hurt. In all honesty, the only time i found good results and relief was going 100%. I dropped the breads and startches completely, dropped the snacks etc.

I stayed away from fruits for a while too, due to the sugar aggravating the lump in my throat. If i ate fruit, i'd look for fruits low on the glycmic scale. So my main meals were vegetables. I would steam them. I'd still eat chicken and fish and eggs. I honestly believe i have some intolerance to wheat/starches and sugar, it could possibly just be the refined sugar being that the fiber is stripped from refined sugar. When the fiber is stripped from sugar it spikes your insulin more, has a different effect on your adrenal glands etc. Who knows what else it is doing. Most breads nowadays have refined sugar included in them.

Most health bars or cereal bars are loaded with refined sugar too.

I even tried gluten free, but it still agitated my reflux. Anyway i wrote a post called: How I kicked Reflux and GERD after 14 years on and off. Please look it up, i'm sure it will have some useful info for you.

Hope you feel better.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up