Hiatus hernia surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am due to meet my surgeon to discuss possible surgery for my hair is hernia. I have had a persistent cough for 8years and surgery is the only option left to try and get rid of this cough. Has anyone had this surgery to help get rid of a cough caused by acid reflux and was it successful?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your surgeon will discuss the different types of operation for this condition.

Go for keyhole surgery if you can. But the important thing is to make sure that the surgeon has lots of experience in the operation he suggests.

• Posted

Thanks he has told me previously it will be keyhole and i will ask about number of ops he's done.
  • Posted

I have answered your other post but if you visit the Down With Acid book/website, (www DownWithAcid org uk) you will find an extensive section of reflux reduction techniques.
  • Posted

Hi Louise! Try non-surgical treatment before you have 'the op'. A friend of a man I worked with had it and he was never able to eat solid foods again. Sad, as he was a millionaire and couldn't eat all the nice things that his money could buy, life fillet steak etc. You will find the alternatives on my previous replies to people with the same problems. If you can't find them I send them to you, but anything is preferable to living on smoothies!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.