HIDA and ultrasound clear but gallbladder symptoms. Should I push for surgery?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been having episodic right UQ pain for about 7 months. I've also had some fatty loose stools and upper back pain which as got worse in the past few weeks. Generally a pain attack will come on 1-2 hours after good.

Surgeon is considering gallbladder but not convinced as u/sound and HIDA normal. It really hurts right in the spot where the gallbladder is!!

Has anyone here had GB removed despite normal testing? Did it help w pain? I'm also a coeliac but strictly gluten free. Thanks!!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would not go for surgery removal of GB if its normal.

If the pain is fromother causes, it will still be there after the removal. 

• Posted

Hi, there is a discussion on here about someone who had all normal tests as you and opted to have his gallbladder out and after the surgeon said it had impacted on the liver causing the pain as not everything appears on scans.

Its a few months ago now but if you scan back it'll be worth you reading it and perhaps send him a message. 

Have they tested for other things to rule them out, I know my tests except for the hida scan came back as normal, my hida was abnormal but they weren't convinced that it was all my gallbladder but also linked with the sphincter of oddi dysfunction which also causes the same pain. 

At the end of the day its elective surgery so you have to make that decision anyway. It can understand it must be very difficult but read everything and don't forget the surgeon will be speaking to his colleagues too to make sure that its the right decision for you.

Let me know what you decide and keep us informed. Take care.x

• Posted

Sorry you're dealing with this. I am wondering if you have had blood tests to check whether your liver and pancreas are stressed.  Also, sometimes an unltrasound won't reveal extremely small stones and sludge.  It really depends on the skill of the tech performing the test. Sometimes a CT scan will reveal small stones and sludge and/or other internal issues.  

If you haven't seen a gastroenterologist, it might help.  If you're dealing with a GP and a surgeon, sometimes they don't have the expertise to diagnose and treat you--or at least to search for what's really going on.

I say this because you didn't mention blood tests which would check how your liver and pancreas are functioning.  The results of these tests can show that those organs are stressed, and if they are it can indicate gallbladder problems.

Best of luck to you, please let me know how you get on! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.