HIDA Results

Posted , 8 users are following.

How long did it take for you to get your HIDA scan results? I had mine done yesterday at 9 and still haven’t heard anything. Not sure if I should call my doc or just wait. I feel sure if something were terribly wrong I would’ve heard back by now? I was told 24 hours. 

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am facing a HIDA scan. Can you tell me how it was.  Is it painful?
    • Posted

it varies person to person. the only pain i felt is the IV injection.nothing else.
    • Posted

I agree with biliarydyskines.

But I did feel minor cramping in my upper right area and in my back when she injected me with the CCK. Once she stopped injecting me the cramping stopped as well.

I was nervous about mine but it’s nothing. I had to fast, so I couldn’t eat or drink after midnight the night before. Went in, she injected me with the nuclear medicine, I waited 30 minutes, went in and she took a picture to make sure the dye worked, then she injected me with the CCK and took the pictures. That was it. Very easy procedure.

Good luck with yours, best wishes! 

• Posted

I am interested to know what specific symptoms you had which made you have the scan.  Since my gallbladder came out i have had a few problems with nausea, diarrhoea, stomach cramping etc. And my dr isnt sure what is the problem, hence investigations.  She has also suggested i may also need endoscopy and colonoscopy to see what is happening.  These problems have all become worse since the gallbladder came out and i am on such a light diet.  Has anyone else had these problems and can offer any experience? 
    • Posted

I had the same problems Most likely you have nothing it just takes time for your body to adjust to not having a gallbladder it took me almost a year. Remember now the food is going to your body with a lot more fat and not broken down as much eat a lot of small meals maybe 78A
    • Posted

I forgot to ask, what exactly would this test show up, is it purely for loss of gallbladder or can it show whats going on elsewhere?
    • Posted

It will look at your whole Digestive track from liver , gallbladder to pancreas to small intestines it will look to your Bile ducks to see if there's Anything causing blockage. It's like an MRI but even better since the guy will light up everything in your body.

• Posted

Thanks for that.  It makes me feel a bit better that they might see what could be wrong with my abdominal area.  They already told me i had a hiatus hernia some years ago and i wonder if thats not helping me either.  I find it so depressing that i cant live a normal life with not knowing if i am going to wake with nausea or be fine till i eat, or then the ache and bowel not good.  All this so far gp has said was ibs but its just getting worse, hence tests which scare me
    • Posted

I have been having pain under my right rib that wraps around to my back. It’s not a sharp pain but an annoying ache. It comes and goes. Then it moved to up by my right shoulder blade and sometimes I feel it on the right side of my chest. There are times where the ache shoots down the right side of my stomach by my belly button down to my groin area. It’s weird. I have terrible health anxiety so I’ve been to my doctor numerous times because it scares me. I’ve had blood tests, an abdominal ultrasound, urinalysis, a d dimer, they did an X-ray of my upper back and chest, all which have come out normal. Thank God. But I’m not sure what the next move may be to figuring out what is causing this pain. 
    • Posted

Does the nausea go away after you stand up because if it is it's the acid in your stomach that's causing you the nausea. You need to get on nexium

• Posted

You go to nuclear medicine at the hospital and they give you an injection of radioactive dye into a vein in your arm. You then lie under the big gamma camera. It’s like a big horizontal X-ray thing that is positioned from your chest all the way down. This camera can see the dye going through your digestive system. After an hour or so they gave me this milky fatty drink which contains something they can see on the scan as well. They see how long it takes for this drink to pass through. Not long after drinking it I started to get really bad stomach cramps. It was a lot worse later that night and for the next few days too. I’d already been having almost constant severe pain though and actually ended up with the gallbladder out a few weeks later. I know it’s different for you as it’s not scanning the gallbladder. But you may still find it uncomfortable as it’s a fatty drink. So may end up with an upset stomach. Hope you get some good results! I’m 3 months in and still need to watch what I eat. Still get stomach cramps and nausea so got buscopan cramps, any sickness tablets and also high strength lansoprazole to make sure it’s not too much stomach acid xx
    • Posted

Thank you so much. The explanation was really good and it helps me understand wihat i am facing.  I am so nauseous that I cant drink anything but water for months now, i dont think i could drink anything for the test, im sure i would,be sick.  Will have to deal with that though.  I am not sure if this scan will,be first, or if the endoscopy and colonoscopy will come first.  Have to see which drs see fit to deal with it.

waking with nausea almost daily, then unpredictable,bowel problems are just making me feel,so,ill.  I am managing plain rice and a bit of chicken, dry cereal but not much else. Its not really a life just now.  The problem is they dont know if  its coimng from gallbladder loss, gut or,bowel, or even could be liver/pancreas.  I so wish i hadnt had it taken out.

Thank you again.

• Posted

no it is not there lying down at bedtime, but is there when i wake. Take a buccastem to quell it then it takes a few hours to dissipate.  Cant really eat during this nausea then later in day cannstart to tolerate something light but still dont feel well.  Grtting left flank bowel,

ache too, hot water bottle helps.

• Posted

Maybe you have swelling in the intestines Maybe you need to do a endoscopy. Maybe ulcer.
    • Posted

Thanks. Definitely need something to find out why nausea and bowel problems for too long and getting worse.  Pain in bowel is not excruciating, just low level ache.  Have been having anxiety and now depressed too a bit.  Dr tried me on anti deps but they made me feel worse. She thought the internal problems came from anxiety initially but now not so sure, sounds more mechanical somewhere.  Difficult one to call but you could,be right with ulcer, but that would not explain bowel.   No bleeding just unwell.  I have had to take warfarin for four years and wonder if its got anything to do with this
    • Posted

It’s probably about 100mls of the drink so it’s not a massive amount. I was lying under the camera when they brought it over in a plastic cup with a straw. Was strawberry flavoured stuff. Prob a bit like milkshake (which I hate so wasn’t ideal haha). 

Have had an endoscopy done this year as well. Only thing I haven’t had is the colonoscopy. Have you had an endoscopy before? 

Totally understand part of how you’re feeling! I’ve tried a few different anti sickness tablets to try and help with the nausea I’ve had since a week or 2 after the gallbladder came out. There are lots of different tablets out there to try so keep on at doc to get something that works xx

• Posted

Yes i had an endoscopy once. It was ok as i asked to be asleep. Notnwas found but that was over ten years ago and i still had gallbladder.  I cant stand strawberry, that might be a problem!

this anti sickness drug, buccastem did work some time ago but not doing much now. Tried cyclizine, it gave me palpitations. Hope dr has something for me as im feeling so nauseous.

do you wake with the nausea? 

• Posted

Yes sometimes I'm telling stand up ,i stop drinking coffee and it got aslor better. No f2f old for me 3 hours before I sleep. My problem is all acid.

• Posted

Yes you are right. I ne her took nausea medication it make me itch. I just eat toast which calms down my stomach.
    • Posted

Do you mean yes its maybe the warfarin or yes nausea is when you wake?
    • Posted

I literally have been having all these symptoms as well and they can’t figure out what is wrong. It’s all pointing to gallbladder but everything is coming back fine. I’m just waiting results of my HIDA test. I feel the same, I just want to feel normal again. I’m sick of being in pain every day and can’t eat due to pain and nausea. 
    • Posted

My hide a scan was normal And all the other scans came out normal Of my call bladder when they removed it was bad .

If you're having symptoms than something isn't working correctly in your body I would bet a 100% into gallbladder once you move it you're feeling little better but you have to be on a low fat diet the rest your life

• Posted

I just got my results back today and my gallbladder is functioning at 9%. So my GP is referring me to a surgeon to have it evaluated for removal 😳.

I hope you get your results soon! Sending prayers you get an answer for your pain. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.