HIDA scan and ultrasound

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I've been having a ton of pain around my ribcage on my right side. I have crohns, but GI sent me to get the scans to make sure the nausea, bloating, weight loss and no app wasn't from the gallbladder as my entire family on my mothers side has had them removed due to complications.

HIDA scan showed an ejection fraction of 90%. But the ultrasound showed nothing. No stones, no thickening. At least according to the ultrasound tech. I've read some on this and have seen "normal" ejection is between 35-75% and anything over that is pretty rare so now I'm really confused.

Should I be worried? Everything I'm getting is normal, according to the dr but google says otherwise. Maybe I should just quit playing online 😂

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had all the same symptons as you described, but i had some small stones.. so my gall bladder was removed 7/12/16 . But i met a lady in the hosp and she had no stones or anything.. just sometimes a little discomfort when bending. She had no nausea , hadnt lost her appetite. But she had it removed anyway....... As it was a bit inflammed.. I dont think i would have if i hadnt felt so ill since sept... i really hated the nausea and no appetite.. bonus losing some weight though 😊

Trust in your consultant that specializes in gall bladders .....

Good luck and i hope all goes well.

• Posted

An ultrasound doesn't always show small stones and sludge, a CT scan might be better.  Why not ask your GI doctor to order one.  Each person's body is different, so what's normal for someone else might not be normal for you. Certainly, your symptoms show that something's not right. 

Best of luck to you, and let me know how you do!

• Posted

I just had my HIDA scan today. I have been having symptoms for about a year, but I have acid reflux and lactose intolerance problems so I just dismissed it as something I ate, until I thought I was going to double over in pain while driving 5 hours after I ate a calzone drank a Pepsi. This things usually didn't cause much of an issue. Blood work and ultrasound were normal. The first hour of the scan, my liver and gallbladder stayed lit up fro 53 minutes, then it finally went to my small intestines. At 55 minutes they moved the machine to the side for a different view. Then with the radioactive tracer it took 20 or 25 out of the 30 minutes before I saw anything leave my gallbladder. There was still some in my gallbladder when the test was done. I felt uncomfortable during the test, but really uncomfortable about 10 minutes after it was over. That lasted about an hour and came back as soon as I ate. I hope to get my results tomorrow or the day after at the latest.

• Posted

Hi, I'm waiting for my HIDA scan results, about 10 minutes into the scan I got given a drink  of whole milk and cream to hopefully see your gallbladder working. After a few minutes I got the pain in my right side and shoulders really badly and that only carried on after the test. After speaking to a friendly GP, he said pain after the drink is an easy way to detect the gallbladder not working properly and now I've spoken to my consultants secretary who says I'm being referred to a surgeon. I haven't had the full results from the consultant yet but at least they've found a reason for the pain.

I know there are different ways of doing the HIDA scan to get a reaction from the gallbladder so I hope you get the results your hoping for so you don't get pain anymore.

• Posted

You should hear pretty quick katherine.. I saw consultant one week , pre med the next and 5 days later had the op.

gall bladder removed 7/12/16 and first day back at work today xx

Good luck

• Posted

They gave me medicine to mimic eating a fatty meal.  It was a radioactive tracer so they could follow how fast my gallbladder emptied.  I am lactose intolerant and would have had a lot of other issues if I had drank that, lol!  I just wish I knew how quickly my gallbladder should have emptied and how quickly the tracer should've moved through into my small intestines.  The tech seemed to think it should've happened way before it did is my guess.  Even though he has preformed thousands of these exams, he is not allowed to tell me what he thinks. sad

• Posted

Thanks Gill, I'm in the UK so may take a little longer as its been Christmas and New Year but I'm hoping it won't be too long. How are you feeling after removal, any problems? 

• Posted

ahh I see. I should've had morphine which does the same thing after the radioactve tracer has been put in but I suppose if you can manage it. its easier as I don't seem to be able to cope wth injections at the moment without feeling faint! I couldn't see mine as it went through my system but it sounds as though your gallbladder isn't working as it should so hopefully you'll hear soon and then you can get it sorted like me.

• Posted

With my HIDA scan, after the hour they still hadn't seen anything move from my gallbladder, had me drink water and walk around for ten minutes then get another picture. I had some pretty intense pain on my right side, but was able to move on, where they had me chug two boost drinks within 10 minutes and wait another hour to get a picture. My dr office is closed until who knows when for the holidays. But the letter I got from him after the HIDA scan just says "gallbladder has 90% ejection" and everyone else seems to say it's all normal. I'd hate to get my gallbladder out and that not be the cause of the nausea even if it is the cause of the pain. I can handle the pain, I mean I have crohns lol. Hopefully by Monday I'll hear from them and know if my next step in surgery or the endoscopy😞

• Posted

They had me bring a driver in case they used moriphine.  Before they started they second part of the test I was told they weren't going to use the moriphine.  I almost wished they had since during the test the most uncomfortable part was lying on the bed.  They did offer me a gurney, but I thought I would be fine.  I have major issues with my spine so lying on my back for long periods is not comfortable.  I was fine until I started walking out to my mom's car.  I suddenly felt nauseous and like I had bad gas, but I didn't.  I am hoping for something to be wrong so I can be given a fix. rolleyes

• Posted

It took 53 minutes for mine to move at all out of my gallbladder.  The tech seemed to be hiding shock and concern when he looked a thing the screen at 45 minutes and it was not into my small intestines yet.  When he first checked me at 15 minutes, he said it should start moving toward my small intestine about that time.  I just want to be able to drink coffee with out pain.  I am a teacher.  Some days coffee is a requirement for the safety of my students and my sanity, lol.
    • Posted

I was told to not drive regardless and I'm glad I was being collected as I felt really sick and increasing in pain. They put a large cushion behind my knees so there's not so much strain on your spine. Yes I know the feeling. I know I'm being referred to a surgeon but I don't know the actual results yet or when my appointment will be. 

I hope you hear soon.

• Posted

I started feeling sick as my mom was driving me around to run my errands.  They gave me a cushion but I have scoliosis, spina bifida and a condition called Neurofibromatosis that has caused tumors on the nerves in my lower back.  Yeah, my back is all kinds of messed up, lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.