Hietus hernia with acid reflux

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I have been told that I have a hernia which in turn gives me acid reflux.  I had a camera put down my throat, (that is the most  horrible treatment ever) also a CT Scan. Now I have to consider do I have an operation, or not

MY QUESTION is  do I have the hernia operation, will it help with the acid reflux??  Do I live with the hernia or not  any advice out there please..

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I am due to have the operation on 23rd September and I was exactly like yourself. I have also had an awful cough too and this is one of the main reasons I am having the op.

I have read loads of posts on here how people are feeling a lot better after the op. I know everyone is different but this is the last option for me and after ending up in A&E at the weekend due to the pain, for me the op can't come quick enough.

It's not an easy decision but reading some of the other posts on here will help with your decision.

Louise

• Posted

Hi Jo - I had also the same but my grading was a little worse - Had H/H and Heartburn for 6 + years been on PPIs for this time too - been to hell and back but i'm 4 weeks after fundoplication and feel great!!

• Posted

Hi Scorr

It's good to hear you're doing well after your op. I have had the same for 8+ years and have my op 23 sept.

It's always good to hear people are doing well after the op as I think it's a hard decision to make.

Do you mind me asking how long you was in hospital for and how is eating afterwards?

Thanks

Louise

• Posted

Hi Louise, I was in hospital for 1 day, i was told i'd stay for 2 but being scottish we are as tough as old boots!! with that said if i didnt feel right i'd have stayed longer, Happy to answer any questions you have to help alieviate anything that worries you . .  maybe i should write a little piece on my experience

• Posted

Hi Scott

I was hoping one night but I guess I will see how I feel.

How was the pain afterwards and what was you like eating? I am giving myself 3 weeks off work to make sure I get right but am lucky as I also have the option to work from home.

I guess my main worry is it not working but I have read a lot of positive comments about the op which is reassuring.

Thanks

Louise

• Posted

Louise,

Somthing that helped me was somthing my surgeon said " you will hear horror stories on line as the successful people dont tend to go back a write good things" and that i totally agree with, hence why i'd like to make a positive post

Firstly the surgeon is key - I was lucky enough to have the 3rd best surgeon in the UK and the 1st in this field (Dr Hardwick,Cambridge) H

• Posted

He explained fully what would happen and how i'd feel. I was scared that i wouldnt be able to swallow and choke and wouldnt eat for weeks/months etc or even be able to burp - but i can!! (i will say the burping is due to the surgeons skill - i've been told if you can burp then the procedure is just right, if you cant then the procedure is too tight, although my burps didnt come straight away so dont panic!!)

• Posted

So three posts on to answer your questions, i was off from work for 2 weeks, the pain on the ports for enter were not particulalry painfully, later on the one that does hurt is the bottom right hand side under your ribs - i've been told that most say this is the painful wound, the thing that did hurt was the shoulder nexk pain from gas they use to inflate you, i can only descibe this as a stich like pain but x 10 - again this does subcide

Eating wise my surgeon was adamant i ate the next day, wheetabix lots of milk and this pretty much formed my diet for 2 weeks, some soups and milky yogurt type drinks, 2 weeks on i was then eating watery scrambled eggs and soft cheeses, as of now i'm still very much on small portions but have baby sized dinners so for example pasta, i chop really fine and load the sauce on to make very wet dinners, the other thing i need to stress is chew chew chew your food. After the swelling goes after around 1 week, you are then very conscious of swallowing and yes it hurts sometime sbut bare with it and this is very normal

• Posted

Thanks that really helps Scott.

I have had my gallbladder out and didn't have any pain from the gas then so I am hoping this will be the same.

I had the pain on the right hand side again after I had my gallbladder out from a drain that ended up being stuck under my ribs and I remember the pain was bad.

Did you lose much weight after the op? I make juices and smoothies a lot and just purchased a soup maker to make things a bit easier for me she I am home.

I would love to only be off for two weeks but I went back after two weeks after having my gallbladder out and was really tired so will see how I go.

Did you have a cough when you had reflux as this is one of the main reasons for me having the op.

You have definitely made me feel better about it so thank you

• Posted

Louise, I didnt have a cough as such but a raspy throat, my main other issue was upper right back pain, shoulder blade pain but i was told (gp ) this was me and stress- they love a stress!!! weight wise i was 17.5 stones before and 4 weeks on i'm down to 15.12 - i dont miss the extra weight - fingers crossed im back to playing sports in 2 weeks - ps should mention i'm a 36 year old so you know

• Posted

Oh I need tthought get rid of this cough but some people have said it has been a success getting rid of it with the op.

I am 43 and I must admit I cried having that ph test it's just the worst feeling ever!

That's the only thing I am looking forward to at the moment the weight loss although you have definitely put my mind at ease so thank you

• Posted

Louise, Please be assured this breaking me, the constant feeling of being crapy and down and it really did ruin my life, my wife must have been so p*ssed off with me as i just spoke of how bad i felt all the time - I know i'm not 100% yet but i feel i will be and the heartburn has just gone - i was naughty i ate a little onion to test if it worked and it did!!!!

• Posted

I must say eating is very difficult and what I wouldn't do to be able to guzzle a glass of water--tiny sips and my surgery was almost two years ago. Bread is hard to digest as it gums up in the throat. Beef also is tribe some and definitely no sugery drinks. Take care. I wouldn't do it again. My wrap had slipped and now must go back in to redo it all again. Good note I lost 30 pounds and at 5.2 im under 100 now.

• Posted

I know that feeling luckily I am single but I am sure my friends have thought I was lying as I could never go out as always feeling ill.

Joining a forum like this has helped me as it helps to hear other people's stories of them going through the same thing as it's something people don't know about unless you have it.

You must feel so relieved that your are feeling better and I hope your recovery continues

I literally hate food because of how I feel and would do anything to just enjoy a nice meal.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up