High Anx Symptoms

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all

I thought it might be useful if we could list what happens to us when our various forms of anxiety and depression kick in. Thought it might help to reassure ourselves, and a guide for newcomers?

Ill start off, when my anxiety is high i often feel:

Excessively hot

Skin prickling

Detached

Fearful

Dizzy/Off balance

Dry mouth

Nausea - then when eating full very quickly

Need the toilet a lot

Stomach problems

Then if things are really extreme my health anxiety kicks in, then I will think i must have any number of diseases or ailments (which in my head i know i dont!). This is then complicated when the usual anx symptoms kick in - these get associated to whatever it is think i have and so on

Any of this sound familiar to anyone?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My anxiety and stress would get so bad, it has developed into hypochondria. I can't tell what's a real ailment and what is stress related. I do know that stress and anxiety don't help anything. I do and or have had all the same symptoms.... I even couldn't swallow food at one point for fear of choking. Crazy we do this to ourselves.

I am searching for a way out of the rabbit hole. It is comforting I am not alone. We are strong people as we are facing our fears.

• Posted

oh jeez i totally know what u mean! im in the middle of the exact same thing at the mo. everything i feel must be related to some terrible illness - its so so distressing isnt it?? how do u normally manage it?
  • Posted

another i should add to the list - eye floaters! these are something ive had for a long long time, as many people do actually - but when the anx is high, either there are more of them, or i just notice them more - probably more the latter
  • Posted

This is so reassuring!  I've been feeling like It's all in my head! I've had so many tests ESGs, blood tests every other week since October...I have an echo test of my heart next Wednesday as I have a murmor

im terrified of starting the meds I got (sertraline 50mg)...I couldn't cope of the symptoms get worse sad 

• Posted

thats exactly why i dont touch meds, i cant handle the inevitable bedding in time where the symptoms may get worse, therapy only for me
    • Posted

I've not tried therapy...did you get referred via your GP?

Just knowing the symptoms may get worse to begin with has put me off trying them. Life is hard enough without my symptoms being worse! It's hard to imagine that they could get worse! 

• Posted

yeah in the first instance see your gp, ask for therapy to help as you want to try that rather than medication, they will set it up for you. i can understand that, gp's sometimes dont seem to understand that aspect of it
  • Posted

It does. What's the stuff that helps you as an individual?
    • Posted

ive tried CBT but i didnt get anywhere with that, so i find CAT (cognative analytical therapy) to be really good - everyones different though, but it really works for me
    • Posted

That's great news. The thing is we are all individuals. You're right too,  What works for me might not work for you. Sometimes I think on these forums if we can identify the symptoms AND the solutions (no matter how positive) it could help us connect with something that makes us think "hey, that could work for me!" 
    • Posted

for sure, everythings worth trying. i think the biggest thing for me is realising that i probably will never be free of anx and depression, but if i can learn to manage it properly, then thats all ill need
    • Posted

Taking ownership of what you have smile It's taken me forty years to realise that...but I have realised that
    • Posted

yeah, its part of what makes us who we are, if we can manage to make it less distressing - then id call that a win!
  • Posted

hi all,

just adding to the list, my worst symtom is breathing issues, i feel like i cant breath i then alter my breathing pattern, which makes it even  worse, i then gulp air which gives me stomach issues, and all the air in my stomach presses on my lungs, which makes me feel like i cant breath, its like a loop i cant get out of.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.