High CPK results

Posted , 3 users are following.

Good day good people,

I am a healthy 36yo, quite active (running, playing tennis). I had an episode which felt lie a pre heart-attack with back then very short breath and chest pains on Monday.

High CPK were detected on that day and two days later. The heart-specific CPK were starting to go down on Wednesday but the general CPK were still more than twice the upper limit of the normal range. I don't have the results with me but they were in some 60-70 range while the upper limit was around 25.

The EKG was fine except for a possible early repolarization. It was sent to a cardiologist for examination. All the other blood and urine results were normal.

I have been feeling gradually better since Monday (less and less pain in the back and in the chest, I am now barely feeling any but a stiffness in the neck for the last 24h) but still feel generally diminished and am quite conscious about not making any particular effort.

I am getting anxious about what could cause these high CPK results. I am wondering if (and wishing that) they could be a result of the strain I put on my system the previous days: the four days preceeding the episode, I barely slept one of the first fourty hours (I was visiting friends and a city, walking around 15km - this should not be a problem considering I am usually quite active - then took a plane in the middle of the night, waited in at the airport, took another one to some other city  that is very elevated over 2000m of altitude for an intense job ITW... and spent most of the day out with the staff), then tookthe whole Saturday to come back home and finally took a rest on the Sunday.

Again, this happened on the Monday morning at work, after a few hours of feeling quite energetic and fine (and driking too much coffee).

The fact  that, some 55 hours later, the CPK was still as high or even a little higher (which the doctor said could not be interpretated as it could be a testing variable) is worrying me. These will be tested again next Thursday, and the specific CPK-MM will be looked at this time.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tom

If you have not seen a rheumatologist that is who I would take these results to next. Write down your daily health on a calendar to take with you. Relying on your memory does not usually work well when so many things are being discussed. Get some rest❤️ Even when you are so young, you must rest enough to expect your health to be great. Best wishes! Jill

• Posted

Thanks a lot for your answer, Jill.

I was looking at my results again. My CPK levels were ranging from 60 to 70 U/L while the range of reference is, according to the papers, 0-25.

I find much higher reference values online (38-174, 22-198, 82-1083).

• Posted

Hi Tom

Creotine phosphokinease CPK is an enzyne found not only in the heart, but the also brain and the skeletal muscles.

Injured muscle reacts to the injury by dumping CPK into the blood stream. So in the case of heart attack, the injured heart muscle releases CPK And an injured skeletal muscle will also dump CPK. So you can see the dilemma and the reason for the retesting.

CPK-1 (CPK-BB) pertains to brain

CPK-2 (CPK-MB)pertains to cardiac muscle

CPK-3 (CPK-MM) pertains to skeletal muscle

If your physician feltvyou were in danger, you would be in the hospital.

I suggest you sit tight and relax.

kind regards

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.