High doses lorazepam, horror stories scared the hell out of me

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello to everyone, I made a mistake i'm sure about this, I took a lot of lorazepam for something like three weeks just to get 'high' or knocked out. I didn't use the same dose steadily, I just abused it without a rule. One day I totally took 10 mg, but my average dose should have been around 4, 5 or less mg a day, but I am not really sure because I cant remember everything. After that, I had for some days some diazepam, but in much lower amounts, like 2, 4 to 6 mg (wich are nothing compared to the ativan). I took my last loraz 11 days ago, and my last 2 mg valium 6 days ago. Now in these last days I have had anxiety but if I distract myself like meeting friends or doing stuff I feel really ok. So, I think I got my anxiety because I just found out that I could nearly have ruined my actual life and withdrawal stories scared everything out me. It's like an anxiety about getting withdrawals.

What do you think abou my situation? My hope is that my actual wellness after 6 days off everything, the fact I haven't had problems after finishing lorazepam (wich was the main drug I abused: passing to valium could be considered as a brutal taper but I felt just a little anxious, probably because of other personal problems) and my short period of binge stay for 'maybe you have been lucky and, avoided major problems'.

My fear is that diazepam's long half life just covered my withdrawal symptoms and now within some days hell will explode. Even if I feel a bit guilty I wanted to post my situation somewhere and see what other people think about it.

Thank you 😊

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Increased anxiety is a withdrawal symptom when stopping a Benzo like Ativan. If anxiety is the worst of it then be thankful, it will go away in time and is just your brain trying to heal and adjust without the medicine. As you already read, Benzo’s are very dangerous, because you only abused for such a short time I wouldn’t think any withdrawal you had would be too extreme, however I am not sure what happens when at such a high dose. Just hang in there and know if you do have anxiety or any other symptoms start to show up it’s just your brain healing and it will get better. 
  • Posted

head over to the benzo buddie forum, google it, and then go into the withdrawal support group

You need to get on some diazepam which is longer lasting and will help you

• Posted

The best thing for someone who has binged or been prescribed any type of benzos  is to seek help if they are experiencing any sort of withdrawal symptoms 
  • Posted

There are various Organisations now to support with benzodiazepine withdrawal and protracted benzo withdrawal.

Beating Benzos as well as the others in the others postings. As you are aware the withdrawal is difficult but trust me better than suffering  damage as a result of long term use of these poisons.

• Posted

Your lucky that you stopped when you did as you ended up taking two different benzodiazepines and that the diazepam was only 2mg cos a withdrawal off both would of been a nightmare for you as I did a cold turkey detox off 30mg of tamazepam  I was taking daily for 5 months and I couldn't walk properly for 2 weeks and I also had 2 fits over that period!

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your answers, now it is day 8 and I feel 'goodish', the only thing is that I smoked a joint yesterday evening and got bad anxiety (as I expected).. My anxiety has been triggered by some strange aches and disconfort in different parts of my body. I tough that I actually entered acute withdrawal. Those feelings went away over night tho. I was wondering about a thing: if I start to get stronger symptoms I suppose that the best could be seriously a taper, but, is it possible to wait and see and then, eventually, start one? I mean, does quitting cold turkey excludes the possibility of a tapering?

• Posted

Damn after lunch I was feeling great, so I decided to try and smoke anotherone one, but anxiety came again, probably I have to quit this habit too, at least for a while...
  • Posted

Hi, im still feeling well but I red about some people who started suddently to withdrawal after two weeks and even more and I am really bothered right now sad(
    • Posted

Don’t read anymore, stay off google and everything else for that matter. It will only makes things worse and cause more anxiety. You will get through it, just focus on living and doing things you enjoy and before you know it, this will all be behind you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.