High EF. Lots of pain. Who had theirs out w/ high EF?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just got the results of my HIDA scan and my EF was 75%. My gastro says that's normal even though I had a gb attack last night. I'm reading online how high EF is not normal. Can anyone share their experience?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Normal rage for EF 35% to 75%. Your at the top of the normal range..

it took many tests and many doctors to see that I had GB stones caught in the bile duct. I understand how painful GB attacks are and it's unbearable to take the tiniest breath.

i  Contined with a journal of attacks and many times I was in ER and the symptoms for GB attacks are similar to heart attacks. They could not find anything wrong one good so sent me home many times with pain meds. 

Has your gastro taken exray of GB. That's what finally coauthor mine. 

Also so take a active approach in diet no fatty foods do not eat out no alcohol you know the drill. It willmake a difference. Eat more fiber!

see advice on this forum for GB .

• Posted

Did you have other tests besides an X-ray? I've had a ultrasound and scheduled for CT scan soon. I swear I have something caught in a duct because my skin is yellow, but my bilirubin keeps coming back normal. I feel feverish all the time. So miserable.

• Posted

Everyone's experience is different .  I only had  X-ray but I went thru 5 docs before the gastro doc did the X-ray. I was told that the pain was in my head and to read a book by one doc? I think some docs are a bit tired and jaded dealing with patience every day they need to retire.

I Had such pain with gallstone attacks I could not move let alone barely breathe. I never had jaundice.

You need a answer to you questions, especially if you skin color  yellow . That should be a red flag to any doc. Especially if whites of eyes and fingernails are yellow.Isn't that a sign of jaundice? 

Geez im very sorry I know how frustrating this must be. I hope you continue to find answers to the issues you have been thru. 

Peace and healing! 👍

• Posted

Last Thursday I had mine out with a 76% ef. So far no pain , I'm still not eating much yet everyone says the appetite will return in time along with energy

• Posted

Good to hear Eric. So your gastro was on board with you having surgery? Mine told me 80% was functioning just fine even though I'm in constant pain. I want to talk to some surgeons. Did you have any other tests run? What did they say your gb looked like?

• Posted

I had u/s , HIDA , CT scan , endoscopy and blood work before all in about 10days ! My gp basically "knew" it was my GB as she had nearly identical symptoms In the past. Even before I had any rib pain I went to see her because I felt nauseated and got bad bloated when trying to eat , right off she said GB and ordered the u/s which was deemed normal HIDA was 2 days later the radiologist said normal at 76% so saw my surgeon that same afternoon. He got the CT scan the same day and endoscopy the next morning! Saw him the next Friday and he said the u/s showed thickened walls as well as the CT scan and he also said that any HIDA result above 60-65% range is "possibly hyperactive" or whatever the phrase he used. In the few days before my rib pains started which weren't horrible more annoying than anything but the back pain was non stop for 9 days and at times was excruciating. The whole time it went on my appetite was gone due to severe bloating and nausea with quite a bit of dry heaving. Had the surgery last Thursday it wasn't bad and my back pain was gone instantly and my appetite is slowly coming back. Hopefully you get the nasty GB out I know after the one "attack" I had I wanted it gone asap and it wasn't nearly as bad as most people get.

• Posted

Thanks Eric. You'll have to keep us posted on your recovery. I wish my doctors would quit being so conservative about everything. I am down to 95 lbs and cannot lose more. I am in constant pain when I eat. My back especially. I'm taking some herbal things for gb and it is the only thing keeping me afloat right now. I see my GI again on Tuesday. Hopefully the weight loss will make her a little more concerned and she'll do some more testing.

• Posted

The back pain was the worst for me as well , the whole hyper gallbladder idea is a controversial diagnosis in itself as I've gathered. Everything will work out for you hopefully soon! What state are you in ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.