High first time doses prescribed by doctor, is this right? (Sertraline)

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a recent joiner of university and having previously suffered from anxiety (that I thought I had mostly got out of the way, or at least learned to handle) I have found myself struggling to make it into lectures based on the lack of escape and other general things that come along with suffering from Anxiety. I have previously been treated with CBT, which helped and Escitalopram, which didnt. I went to the mental health support team today and sorted out some things which should help me feel more comfortable. I was then given a GP's appointment where the Doctor was very very quick to prescribe me drugs. I was given a beta blocker of 10mg, begins with a P. Also was given a drug I wasn't aware of which is Sertraline, with a starting dosage of 100mg a day for a month with a 2 week checkup. Now I was reading the small print in the box and it says that most people with Anxiety start on 25mg and work up to 50mg which gave me a bit of a worry. Any Help from anyone in similar circumstances. I am 19yoa.

Also would like to know about the effects of alcohol on both of these drugs, I am a university student and thus drink like one.

Thanks,

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi first of all ask your doctor to lower the dosage to much much lower than 100mg. Something like 20mg. And please try to avoid alcohol whilst on drugs, as it can effect you physically. But do ask your doctor about the alcohol thing though, he or she might say you can drink a little. But I was a student at uni too and thus I couldn't drink much because of this. 

Your health is more important than a one night drink. Go out but try to avoid alcohol. I know it's lame, seriously I know the feeling, but it's got to be done that way. 

Stay safe and hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

And if you check the instruction paper inside of the medication box it will say avoid all alcohol drinks.
    • Posted

So are you saying that that does seem like a high dosage to start on. Any thoughts on the beta blocker. I understand that all well, I've had escitalipram before and never had any problems with drink however. If I were I stop drinking whilst on these it would likely put my entire social life away, which would be far from productive. 

Also concerned for the sexual implications stated about this drug. Whilst on ssris before it sto

• Posted

Made ejaculation harder but never stopped it. Is this a risk? 
    • Posted

Yes 100mg is high to START. It depends on how severe conditions are. But have a good chat with your doctor and ask him or her all of the above that you have asked me and ask to start from a 20mg. 

I've started on Citalopram 20mg but to ease me into it I take half once a day. It will make ejaculation harder but like I said make an appointment with your doctor and ask him or her all of the above. 

• Posted

The thing I'm gathering from this is that they are 2 different drugs. When on ecitalopram I was only ever on 20mg a day so maybe this is a bit different and a higher dosage is needed? I just found it strange, when I was at the GP's he was so quick to prescribe me drugs without much information other than that from the Mental health section of my university. But then again he's a GP so I feel like I should trust him, when I mentioned beta blockers he said they were good for short term but wouldn't ever lead to curing me so he prescribed me the other stuff. Yet to try it but probably will today when I sober up.
  • Posted

Hi,

i was prescribed propranalol which would be the beta blocker and I found that whenever I took it, it would more often than not make me feel worse. However I have been prescribed Sertraline, like yoursself, and have been on 100mg a day for a while now. I think when I first started taking it, I was on around 50mg and then went to 100mg. I am also at university and take it after I finiish drinking for the night and havent had any bad side effects from it but everyone is different 

• Posted

Do you have any side effects? Also were you taking the beta blockers before a anxiety inducing situation or daily?

• Posted

For the first couple days of taking sertraline they made me feel pretty sick and dizzy but was quick to get used to them. And yeah with the beta blocker I would take it when I felt my anxiety levels rising or before a situation where my anxiety would become worse
    • Posted

I'm going to Amsterdam tomorrow so do you suggest I stay off it it till after hen? Going for a clubbing festival so drinks a given. How much did you start on and how much beta blocker did you take before, did it not help at all? 
    • Posted

I honestly can't say as I'm not a doctor but mixing alcohol with prescription drugs is never really a good idea. If you're really worried about it then don't take them id say but it just depends how bad your anxiety is. The beta blocker was only 10mg I think but it made me feel generally worse so I stopped taking them, but everyone is different 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.