Hints / Tips / Recipes Survive Christmas!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

With the big event coming up next month I thought we could all put some survival tips together...plus low fat Chritmas recipes?

It will be a difficult time and I read a post on here where a member had to face a party one weekend and was struggling really badly.

To kick off heres an alternative to the yummy but really bad for us ....

[u:bb83a6d7f2][b:bb83a6d7f2]Mince Pies[/b:bb83a6d7f2][/u:bb83a6d7f2]

in staed of using shop bought mince ...make your own and avoid the suet....soak some dried fruit in some of you favourite booze,,,together with grated zest of an orange and lemon...add a couple of spoons of ground almonds,

Use Filo pastry in place of shortcrust....filo contains very very low fat.

Place a tea spoon on a couple of sqaures of filo (approx 4x 4 inches then fold into a parcel.....brush with egg and bake for 10-15 mins.

I have already made mine plus the regular kind and have frozen them. (uncooked)...then you only need to get out and bake the amount you need.

You can do similar type of thing for

[u:bb83a6d7f2][b:bb83a6d7f2]SASAGE ROLLS[/b:bb83a6d7f2][/u:bb83a6d7f2]....use low fat sausage removed from its skin together with bread crumbs and herbs....this will eek out the sausage meat making it even lower in fat. Then make a sausage shape and roll in 2 sheets of filo and cut into bite sized peices,

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

A tip for those who are veggie. Quorn roasts or Quorn Lamb vegetable grill is delicious I have this when the rest of the family has a roast dinner.

Another tip which I will be doing re my veg, instead of eating the usual honey glazed or buttery vegetables - I will use a bag of steam fresh veg, and a jacket potatao instaed of mash with butter and milk - I find this way it does not disrupt the cook too much either.

I've decided that I shall have one good (healthy) meal and one treat meal. Being veggie means xmas dinnner does not really rock my boat at all, the sight of meat usually puts me off mine!

But I really enjoy xmas tea with the pickles and little tit bits so will not be having my blue tablet for that meal.

Getting hungry just thinking about it, cannot believe we only have 32 days left!

Sasx

• Posted

Julie B....thanks so much for the tips - that's just a great idea for calorie saving....didn't realise filo was less calories....if you don't smother it in butter like they do in the cookery programmes...egg would be less calories and fat. I have survived Christmas before while on WW and can do it again....I - like the rest of you - have learned to like things without too much fat/butter/ now....I've come a long way from the times when I used to slap on the butter over the bread and then the jam...the thought of it now appalls me!! A bottle of olive oil does for months and months and it used to be about 2 weeks! As long as I get a good dinner with taste I'll survive.
  • Posted

Hi Julie B

I tried your mince pies at the weekend and they were a massive hit with dieters and non dieters alike. Everyone loved the homemade mincemeat and the fact that the pastry was nice and thin. I don't think I'd make mince pies any other way again and it probably works out cheaper. I put some chopped dried apricots in with my other dried fruit and it gave the mince pies a lovely zing.

I also tried the sausage rolls and used a bit of sage and onion stuffing mix in mine to give them a Christmassy feel.

Thanks so much for these recipes, I love both so to have some kind of alternative that is not too sinful is great!

I am going to make mini pavlovas with the homemade mincemeat and some Weight Watchers fat free creme fraiche mixed with a little sherry and orange zest... should be tasty!

QB

• Posted

Hi QB.

I am glad you liked the recipes....I posted a reply to your post about Alpro...going to make a trifle with it!!

Going to find some low fat dip recipes to have with carrots etc on buffet table....I am not too happy about not having 'normal' cheese at Christmas it is real cheese I miss the most!!

I think a lot of people will just give in at Christmas but I have lost 1 and a half stones so far and I don't want to undo the good work!!

Will look for more recipes....have a merry Christmas QB,

Julie :D

• Posted

I may crack and have a little bit of cheese but if I can save the calories and fat elsewhere I will and have some slivers of stilton as a treat. Unlike you I don't want to undo the good work that has already been done. It's too precious!

Have a good one!

Queen Bee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.