Hip

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, I had an anterior hip replacement done 12 days ago, Dr had to do some extra repair, so I'll be on a walker for 5 weeks. I'm so tired and depressed. I'm trying to get off the pain meds, which I know will make me tired. I'm also in Coumadin to stop blood clots. I researched anterior replacement and thought I would be up with just a cane. Hope this tiredness is not unusual!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That's the biggest secret of all - the crazy tiredness is one of the worse parts of recovery!

It too will pass - you will start to feel so much better once you start coming off the medication too.

I asked many people about this and everyone said the same so don't worry!

• Posted

Hi Sandy,

It's perfectly normal to be very tired during the first few weeks of recovery, and it's easy to let everything get you down.  This is just a stage at the beginning of recovery.  You'll find as each week passes, you will start feeling better, have more energy and in the end you'll be glad that you had the surgery.

Best wishes!

• Posted

I was wondering about getting very warm and nausea.

When I get up in am and get ready for the day, I feel very sweaty and nauseated. If I sit down and eat a small bite of toast, in a couple minutes I feel like it never happened. Is this a normal feeling after surgery? I know after a person has been ill and they go back to work that happens. Wasn't sure if it should happen after surgery. If this is normal how long will it last.

Thank u ahead of time!

• Posted

Yes. 2 weeks post op today. I definitely have bouts of nausea a few times a day. My nurse said it was likely the iron pills I am taking 2x/day...
  • Posted

Hi Sandy 12 days is nothing and before you know it you will be up and about and the five weeks will fly by, you will be feeling better by the day.

I'm 12+ months on crutches and thought even that day would never arrive, don't beat yourself, make the most of this rest period, do things that you never found time for pre op, reading war and peace LOL or maybe catching on one of those long series's, I watched so many I got so I couldn't remember which was which

• Posted

Hi Sandy, I am also 12 days post THR anterior approach, 47yo. I just asked my guests to leave because I needed a nap. I think I too have been hard on myself… I am still on a walker but discontinued my pain medication just yesterday due to extremely uncomfortable constipation (FINALLY relief today- Yayy)

I thought I would have progressed to a cane by now but I am not able to do a lateral leg lift (lying down) and that is the indicator of muscle improvement my physical therapist wants to see before I switch to a cane full time.

I definitely feel over sensitive to things that typically would not have bothered me.

We've got this! 12 days & counting.

• Posted

Thank u for the encouragement, because it was anterior I thought I would be up and about by now.
    • Posted

I know what you mean. I also thought anterior would be "quicker." I had a decent day with just Tylenol today.

• Posted

Dear Sandy

Glad to hear that you are safely home. You say that your doctor had to do some extra repair. Bhs wondering what he had to do as it sounds rather drastic that you are having to be on a walker for five weeks.

Good luck with your recovery.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I had an osteophite growing on the outside of the ball of the hip and this had attached itself to muscle. So he had to dissect the muscle off and reattach it to the other muscle. Usually anterior hips don't mess with muscle. So that's why the longer recovery.

• Posted

Dear Sandy

Many thanks for sharing that. It was obviously most unusual and unexpected. Good luck with your recovery.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Thank you all for your responses. I was also wondering if during stretches that it should burn below the knee and on the anterior and lateral side of the thigh. I guess I'm just impatient and want to feel better quicker than I should.

Thank u

• Posted

Anterior.

And I am having a LOT of knee pain (top & bottom). Sometimes I even wonder if it hurts more than my hip...

And yes, my thighs too. I have to keep reminding myself of the trauma those muscles endured and the time they will need to heal. Trying to do my leg raises (lying down) is a good reminder of how much more healing I have to do...

• Posted

I will do leg lifts. I was just nervous about the knee pain and excess burning in the thighs.

Thank u

• Posted

If you're lying down can you lift your straight leg up off the bed/couch?

I can't. Not even close sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.