Hip and Pelvis problems after TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my second TKR a year ago. The first one was a resounding success. This one is slow... The worst thing is that my physiology has told me that my pelvis is out, she putting it back but I can't walk upstairs on that leg, it's weak.

when they hammer up the femur with the prosthetic, it's quite a lot of trauma and that is apparently what has caused this problem.

also my foot turns out when before it didn't, this is aggravated my hip too. Now I am getting swelling and pain on the outside of my knee!

anyone else had this problem?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Since my TKR on January 8, 2015, the pain I lived with everyday for 30 years in my knee is now moved to my hip. I seen the Dr. On Friday and he took x-rays. I have calcification in my hip, and degenerative changes. I will need a hip replacement but it is not to that point yet. I waited 18 years to have my knee replaced, because of my age. Now the waiting game begins again, and the constant pain has repositioned itself. I don't think there is a silver lining to live pain free, but I am a patient person..They say God won't give you more than you can handle, but apparently he thinks I am a bad ass..lol
    • Posted

Yes I wondered about that, I don't have any pain though until I walk upstairs. There was a point when I couldn't walk up even a small incline but physio has helped with that.
  • Posted

Hi Whiley

I had hip and ankle.problems after both TKR's. My physiotherapist told me that this was normal due to the hips and ankle adjusting to the new knee as it is tracking correctly with the shoulder hip and ankle after many years of not doing so. She gave me exercises to release the pain and strengthen them. I really had to focus on controlling my ankle when walking at first but as it got stronger the pain went away and I am walking straight footed now. The hip exercises helped as well. For pain release I lay on the sore hip and put a tennis ball under it. I move around until the tennis ball hits a sore spot and then let it stay there for a 30 second period, then move on . It is amazing how well this works. It also works on your back with 1 tennis ball on either side of your spine. Lay on the floor and move to roll the balls up and down the pressure they give will release the muscles. I found all that lying on my back made it hurt. . Chiropractry works to help as well. Having a team of medical professionals on call has been great for me. Hope this info helps you out!

Mary

• Posted

Thank you, great advise there, I will discuss this with my physio, cheers.
  • Posted

Notgetting this particular problem at the moment... Wonder if any sort of insole would help with the foot position? Ive developed flat feeet and it causes all sorts of problems. Would have to be a real foot and orthopaedic expert of course. Bad luck about the pelvis.. Hope you get relief!
  • Posted

Oh yes, I know what you mean. That was my worst pain. I was sure my hip was gone! But my physio sent me for massage therapy and it was my hamstrings. Worked wonderful even after the first time when she used an hr on that area. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.