Hip pain after TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone. I'm sorry to be a bore as i keep coming here with all different complaints. The truth is i have all kinds of pain since my left TKR which was 4 months ago. I need to know if any one is going through something similar. I have been having left hip, groin, back, neck, jaw muscle pain for several weeks now. Started about six weeks ago. The left thigh muscle also feels heavy and painful. My rheumy and the surgeon have ruled out hip arhtritis. It seems my whole left side is just cramping up continaully and it's difficult to go on. Please anyone is this normal.

Pam

0 likes, 12 replies

Report / Delete

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, 4 mths is still early days I think, after my 1st tkr my balance and walking were all messed up,I was in pain everywhere, I believe it was due to the way I'd been before surgery totally out of alignment due to pain and compensating by walking ,sitting lying differently. Once my new knee was in I had to exercise walk straight and completely realign my gait which caused havoc with muscles,tendons,ligaments ect, give time time and it should settle down

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thankyou chrishappy. It does sound like me there. My husband asked me if i was this way from the beginning, agter the op but i couldn't quite say because there was the knee pain and crutches etc. How long was it till all those pains went for you. How did you get your alignment right. I have had four appointments with a chiropractor and hoping that may help

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

My first tkr left knee was last year, it took me at least 6 mths to walk what I thought was straight, however I'm now 6 weeks after my right tkr and my walking I've noticed is improving weekly. With each surgery I compensated with my other leg!!! So now they're both done my alignment keeps improving though I'm sure I have more work to do.A chiropractor sounds a great idea, keep us informed on your progress with them

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You may be having some siatica pain that's mixed in with the tor recovery. A number of people have alluded to this. Some of the issue is created by the pre op favoring the way you walked. We will unintentionally do anything to avoid pain so we limp and twist getting nerves pinched, etc. Get your tgerapistvin on your problem and see if they can address them with excercise. Otherwise you may have to go through a series of epidural steroid injections to break the pain cycle

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Youpicat, I had both knees replaced at the same time and after I was feeling "healed" and doing a lot more, I started experiencing a pain in my right hip. At about 9 months I went to a new surgeon for a check-up (I was living in India when I had my TKRs, but was back in the US and thought another opinion would be nice). While I was there, I told him about my hip pain, so he xrayed both hips (I was fearful that they were going too). He said the hips looked great. I started doing a stretch the eventually helped. Sitting either on your bed or the floor, legs straight out in front, slide your feet in until your knees are bent at a comfortable bend. Then drop the knees to your sides, putting the bottoms of your feet together. If you are like me, it's painful and the bottoms of the feet don't come together. That's okay, it's just the goal. I also set pillows under my knees, finding a position that is comfortable and relax. Hold the position as long as is comfortable and then bring your legs together and out straight. It is helpful to do this several times in a row. It's a good stretch and might help you like it did me. Good luck.

-Mo

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

moandrieu that sounds good and simple, not too complicated i mean. Thankyou for this advice. Will try. How long was it before this started to have results?

Pam

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It took some time. I didn't figure it out right away. For me, I think the joint had gotten stiff and because of the knee sensitivity I wasn't moving my hips much. I think once I started doing it, I noticed a difference rather quickly. But it was a slow process. But if it brings some relief, it's a good deal, right?

-Mo

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes i think i have been very worried and scared since the op and also depressive. Being scared about where i put my feet, even walking with my grandsons (qthey're kids) woud stress me because they would always be jumping around me with a football or skateboard. My body just seems to have tensed up on the left side. Since the op i also have bowel problems and pain with the rus and wonder if this is maybe related to the muscle problem

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Bowel problems can be directly related to dehydration or medication. Increase your water intake substantially. If you are on pain meds add colase and mirilax daily till you get straightened out.

The immediate solution is water.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Mo...that is a wonderful stretch.  My chiropracter gave that one to me because I have had back problems (stenosis) for most of my life.  Yoga is also great for the spine, hips and whole body.  I can't wait to start again.

Thanks for the reminder....Marilyn

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up