Hip replacement

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have just come back from hospital and I have been told I need both knees replaced I am having left one done in September. My problem is I am worried how this will effect my DD I am having a epidural and sedation. Will this effect my DD how can I manage it when I can't feel anything I am terrified I will have a accident. Any suggestions great fully appreciated

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan

You need to tell your doctor of your fears and ask if this is a possibility.  I expect they want to do an epidural with sedation as a safer option than a GA, because of your age.  The recovery period is much quicker.  Good luck.

I have been told to lose 5 stone 11 pounds before they will even put me on the list.  That is impossible for me.  I think I can lose 4 stone - in fact I've already lost almost one - and that would give me a BMI of 25, but they want me to get my BMI into the low 20's.  It takes no account of my bone structure and density, which is large and solid (no osteoporosis).  My neighbour is the same height and dress size as me, and 3 stone lighter!  (We both do Slimming World).  Devon is notorious for setting high weight losses and insist on giving up smoking (I don't) before they operate on non emergencies.  No doubt due to budget restrictions.

So like you I live with daily pain and my walking stick.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Since the DD I haven't eaten a lot so I have lost a lot of weight When I went and had my knee done I was really overweight but when I got weighed 2 months ago I had lost a lot I haven't eaten chocolate buns cakes burger or any fried food I think this has helped. I will speak to the consultant on the morning of the op and see what he has to say x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I rarely take pain relief for my hip.  I've lived with the pain for over 45 years as the hip degeneration is caused by scoliosis, causing crumbling dics, a twisted pelvis and finally hip erosion.  I think because I've lived with pain for so long I have a high tolerance, and also why I seem able to copy better with the pain of Diverticulitis.  If it's really dire I'll take a couple of paracetemol.  I once took one cocodamil, and it basically knocked me out for 24 hours.  I never took another one!

Regarding the hip op, you need to ask the questions now, not on the day of the op, otherwise you'll just sit and worry about it, which is no good for your IBS and Diverticulitis.  Also on the day it's too late for them to alter plans.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Your concern is truly one of mine. I don't have the answer and have put off my knee surgery too. I will only say to make sure your nurse and doctor know your concern. Sedation and pain medicine cause constipation. There is no doubt about it. My constipation has caused flare ups of DD. They should be able to give you a mild laxative like Miralax so you do not strain. Wishing you peace of mind and a successful surgery. Prayers

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up