Hip Replacement

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm looking for any advice or anyone experiencing the same issues with a ceramic hip replacement. I am 42yrs old & have had my replacement for 8 years, over the last couple of years I have had pain from my groin extending to my knee after the slightest bend or twist. Also if I've been walking & standing a lot. The pain is a burning sensation & wipes me out it's so severe. I've had X-rays that say the replacement is fine & also tried physiotherapist, but still the pain. I do have times when the pain is not there but mostly I have it. I have young children to look after & feel that this stops me in my tracks. I've looked at footwear options to see if that helps. Any information or ideas worked be so greatly appreciated x Rachael x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

This does not sound good; you must have had one of the earliest ceramic replacements and until now, I thought they were a huge improvement on metal hips. I suggest you write a diary of pain and see if you can see any suggestion of what may be causing it. Maybe it's 24 hours after a long walk or cycle, do you exercise? See if you can pinpoint when the pain is there. After a weekly gym visit, or even the weekly shop. Is it worse on a particular day? Is it better on a particular day? By writing it all down, it will help you see if there is a pattern. Then you may find a cause and manage it better.

Best of luck, Mark

• Posted

Yes I did have one of the early ceramics, thank you for your suggestion of a diary to see if there's any pattern, it maybe something I'm doing as I am very active with being that bit younger than normal for a replacement. Thanks.

• Posted

Stem Microerosion?
    • Posted

I've not heard of that before, can this happen with time? Have you experienced this yourself? Thank you for your reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.