Hip Replacement

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi all,

My mam is 73 years old and she is in agony at the moment. She has been told she needs a hip replacement but she is very reluctant to do it. She can no longer walk without a limp and can only walk short distances. I'm worried she's going to do more damage in the long run. I'm just wondering if there are any other people on this forum who are a similar age and would give me any advice for her? She did get the injection into the hip in the middle of Decemeber, hoping that it would help but she herself has admitted she feels it has aggravated it.

I would appreciate any advice at all. Worried about her.

Thank you.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Fiona,

There are lots of people her age and older who have had hip replacements, some people well into their 90s. There is no reason she could not have a great recovery from the hip op many do, yes, it will deteriorate the longer it is left. There are not many who do not fear the op but it is fairly quick and certainly in my case painless, absolutely no pain, immediately after or since the op.

Hope your mom gets on the list sooner rather than later.

• Posted

I had my THR just over a year ago at the age of 75 and I am so glad that I did. Within a month of the operation I was walking a mile or so with a stick, then heavy gardening by the summer. Now, apart from the slowly fading scar I have rather forgotten that I ever had the operation.

• Posted

hi Fiona

I had my hip done when I was

75 . best think i did. I was like your mum unable to walk far in pain. 18 MTHS on and i have been on walking holiday, walk Dog every day life is normal and no pain. i was scared of having it done and first two months not best of times but after three months i was so glad i had it done, as long as mum does all the exercises and walks as much as she can after recovery will be good. wishing mum all the best Dawn

• Posted

HI Fiona and your mum too

you do have a few years on me but ive had my right hip replaced in September 19 and although am still in recovery its the best thing ive done. am getting my life back to live how i want too, the op is not a walk in the park and there will be moments when you think why on earth did i agree to this but over all as things improve you will forget those moments

Fiona get you mum to read some of the questions/comments on here its so helpful and will hopefully put her mind at rest.

• Posted

Hi Fiona

I was 66 when I had my THR exactly a year ago. I was reluctant to go through it but I met someone who had it done 12 weeks prior and they were walking like new. I bit the bullet and had the replacement and couldn't believe how easy recovery was. Though a little younger than your Mam I would say get it done and enjoy the rest of your life without that pain and immobility. Its a remarkable operation that gives you back your life.

• Posted

I was 70 when I got my hip replacement after years of pain. Tell your mom its really a good thing! the first 3 weeks or so there are discomforts and inconveniences like showering or going to the toilet Also sleeping comfortably will be difficult for a while. But the hip itself will probably not cause any bad discomfort! In a few weeks, except for some restricted movements, you will not even feel the new hip. It begins to feel like its always been a part of your body. Im 18 months post op now and i can lift my leg to get into tub, and bend down and now even cross my leg to tie my shoe! I too was very afraid to do the surgery but the limping and pain became too much. I might have to have the other hip done in future so i know what to expect.

• Posted

Fiona, not that i am as old as your mam, but tell her to go for the op . The original hip pain goes immediately and the pain and discomfort of the hip operation settles quickly and is managed by appropriate pain relief. within a few weeks she will be very pleased she had it done. Good luck to your mum!

• Posted

I can understand her reluctance. When I was told I needed a new hip I made all sorts of excuses why I should not have one. In the end I was in so much pain I was in a wheelchair so gave in. Very easy op, I seem to have been lucky, I had no post op pain, the hip seemed like my own, no bruising or swelling. My only problem was my blood markers were very high so they would not let me go home immediately although I felt fine.

• Posted

Hello Fiona

I have had 2 hip replacements and they are the best thing to happen to me. My first hip was a longer operation due to spurring, so dont let your mum wait too long for the surgery or you can do more harm. I am 70.

All the best.

• Posted

Hi fiona

yes i sound very like your mam . I was very reluctant I was given a date in July 2018 which i canceled . Said i was on holiday until End of September. Got another date in October same year which i also canceled and said i wanted removing from waiting list .A year later my quality of life was awful. I couldnt go anywhere could only walk for about 5 mins at a time . Had to stop going shopping and girl weekends away with my daughters. This year i bit the bullet went to the dr in September I chose which hospital and surgeon i wanted . Did you know you can do that under the NHS . got appointment with consultant in October he gave a date there and then November 27 th for operation, a day before my 72nd birthday . I was so afraid of everything especially the epidural . I didnt feel a thing. it was the best decision I have ever made . Im just over 5 weeks post op . I know everyones experience is different but I can honestly say I would do it again in a heartbeat . Of course there is some discomfort after. Keep taking the meds . i feel so stupid now that I put it off for so long . This forum is so good . I am a worrier by nature . People on here have reassured me loads stopping me freaking out .

I hope my experience reassures your mam

• Posted

Hi fiona, I'm no way near your mama age but what you have said already doesn't look as though your mams pain is going to get any better for her, it probably will get worse to the point her hip will come loose out of its socket like mine did 2 years ago at work, if you look at it like a bad tooth or a broken arm you go get it fixed as quickly as you can, my advice is your mam cannot go for another year in intense pain, she needs a THR

If your mam was anything like my mam they just shrug it off and hope it goes away on its own, ( a different generation)

Hope this is some help for you and your mam

• Posted

Everyone that has waited to do the surgery all regretted waiting so long. I know people in their 80's and even 90's that have had the surgery that did great.

• Posted

Hi .I am 71 and going into hospital on 28th February for a new hip. I have had several hip injections but they don't work anymore . My pain is very bad at present and is affecting my every day life so much that I am counting for the hours to go I to hospital to get it done. I have a friend who is 86 who has just had this operation who like your Mum was very frightened but a couple of weeks afterwards said she wished she had had it done years ago.

Tell your Mum to think of all the things she will be able to do after the operation . I will be putting my review of my operation on this forum if she still hasn't made her mind up by the end of February. Give her my kindest regards.

love Lyn xxx😉

• Posted

It's so easy to say don't worry, and I was very stressed before having my THR last October. I'm 69. However, it went really well and my recovery is better than I expected. But - I have problems with my back and my right shoulder having been in so much pain and used crutches for a year before the op. This will get sorted with physio eventually, but it would have been better to have had the op sooner! Best wishes to your Mam.

• Posted

Thank you so much everyone for your comments and advice. I really appreciate it. I think she is definitely coming around to the idea. She rang the hospital and left a message as they are still on holidays but she has assured me she will ring again on Monday. She honestly can't go on the way she is at the moment.

Thanks again,

Fiona

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.