Hip replacement discomfort

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey all 3 and a half weeks post op and i feel frustrated with what feels like slow progress.

i am walking around with one crutch but want to be walking unaided. Also experiencing discomfort or pain around hip which is mild can that be normal?

Thanks in advance xxxx

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lilylou,

I understand your frustration. I am now nearly 7 weeks post op and only just walking unaided outside, but to be honest I feel easier with one crutch outside until I get my confidence back. Terrified of tripping or something! I would say 3 weeks is quite early for unaided walking but everyone is different. My walking unaided around the house sort of happened and my body felt ready for it. I am back to work next Monday which will be about nearing 9 weeks but have to commute to London so will take my crutch just in case. I still have a little pain but normally when sitting for too long and its around the scar area which I guess is still muscles healing.

I find a hot water bottle helps.

All the best,

Sarah

• Posted

hi, i am 7 weeks post op and still walk with one crutch. i also still have pain from time to time, so I would say its still normal.

and I am sure it be fine soon

Regards Petra

• Posted

Why do you want to rush recovery Lilylou. You have been cut open bones cut an implant, implanted in your bone it is a big operation and to be honest surprised you would expect to walk without support at 3.5 weeks. It is still early days, slow and sure is best, the muscle needs building up to hold the new implanted hip. If you try to rush your recovery it is possible to regret it down the line. Time is the healer.

• Posted

When i went to see the surgeon at two weeks to get stitches out he said i didnt need crutches so now my husband keeps telling me i could walk without them if i wanted to....i am not so confident. I am down to one crutch and have been for about a week.

• Posted

You were lucky to see a surgeon to have your stitches out, I had a district nurse come to the house to remove the clips, did not even see him at the 6 week appointment.

Did you have the anterior approach then for him to think you should walk unaided already. To be honest the surgeon has not had the op or going through the recovery. I was using one crutch in the house at about 2.5 weeks but two when out on my daily walk, progressed to one then none in the house and one when out walking.

You will know when you can walk unaided, you will not need to ask, it will happen. As I said before don't run before you can walk.

• Posted

His nurse took the stitched out but he was present watching. I see him again in a month. I had the posterior approach. i am feeling pressure from my family to ditch the remaining crutch but at present i dont feel ready. The pressure is due to what the surgeon said I did say to my family i value and greatly appreciate the skill of the surgeon but he hasnt had this done to him.

• Posted

I know it will be hard for the family to understand if the surgeon came out with that ridiculous statement but, it needs explaining to them it is too early and you can do more damage to the hip.

I am wondering if the surgeon was actually joking and your hubby missed the joke and took it as a fact, I cannot believe a surgeon would be that stupid. The more I think about it the more I think he was joking.

• Posted

HI jen

Definitely not joking it was said in all seriousness and i had to ask for my crutches to be handed to me.

• Posted

Hello Lilylou,

Congratulations on your progress so far! It seems like you're doing very well...probably better than you think! The one thing I've learned after my hip replacements is not to rush it. I feel fortunate that I had the anterior approach for both my hip replacements. That has allowed me to recover rather quickly. But, it wasn't quick enough for me! There were a couple times where I pushed a little too hard and it hurt at the end of the day. Luckily, I didn't do any permanent damage. As my wife (and most people in this forum) reminds me, healing takes time.

Definitely listen to your doctor and your body. Take it slow at first and work up to more. Confidence will build as time goes on. Try not to give into pressure if you're not ready - and only you know when you'll be ready!

Best of luck to you!

Kevin

• Posted

Thank you! I am possibly doing better than i think. What a journey! I dont think its fast enough for me so its good to be reminded to take it slow and thats ok.

• Posted

Hi Lilylou?

i am 7 weeks post OP and just started 1 week ago to go down to 1 crutch.

Inside the house I don't ùse any crutches.

I think you are doing amazingly well and you need to listen to your body. Is no point walking without aids and then maybe keep a permanent limp.

once you can walk properly without any limping or pain then you might be ready

Bit I would wait till then.

Every person is different and heals in different times and thats why you have to listen to your body.

i know an elderly lady 81 who had her 2nd hip replacement and she only used her crutches for 1 week after she came home from Hospital.

Because she hated crutches.

She now has a permanent bent back and now suffers with severe back pain.

Unfortunately the only thing you have to do is patiently and you will be fine at one point.

Petra

• Posted

Thanks Petra makes sense to listen to my body. Maybe im not giving myself enough credit. Have just got back from a walk with hubby on one crutch...trying to go a bit further each day up until a few days ago had been going up and down driveway many times...seeing Physio first time Friday...intend to go 5 times and keep up with exercises at home.

That poor lady ☹ its trying to get that balance right aye between rest, walking, sitting etc. Im still using my one crutch will play it by ear and try not to stress too much x

• Posted

hi Lilylou,

I think you doing amazingly well.

you can be proud of your self.

Petra

• Posted

awwww thanks really appreciate that. Its hard to see it when your in it and i think its easy to lose objectivity when its you. I have to remind myself not to compare myself to others etc....what a journey huh.

• Posted

i'm 4 weeks now and was walking quite happily in the house with one crutch, but I've gone back to two as I was experiencing increasing lower back pain. Not sure whether it was the way I was walking, or perhaps I was just too over confident and stretching more to reach things. Some soreness around the wound area particularly since the clips were removed and wondering whether that's just irritation from rubbing against my trousers. Ankles still puffy even though I'm elevating them twice a day - the stockings wrinkle all the time since much of the swelling in the leg has reduced and I'm longing to get rid of them! i'm amazed at how far some people are walking. i can manage about a mile, but after that I just feel exhausted. i don't think I've ever slept so much - two hours in the afternoon and eight at night. Having said that, I know I'm lucky to be able to sleep peacefully.

• Posted

Hi Yvonne,

I am also amazed how far some people can walk already.

If I do a mile I'd be really sore.

I do short walks but a few times a day.

I also had back ache, but that seems to go away once your'e muscles are stronger again.

And I think if you need 2 crutches then use them. U know your body and we all heal at different speed.

The Importance is that you do you exercise and get more mobile.

And I am sure when the time is right you can move down to one crutch again or without any.

Petra

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.