histerectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am thinking for having a histerectomy because of heavy bledding i wanted to know the cons and prons of having one would i need medicine?? not pain medicine I have very heavy periods i don't have cancer 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lizzie

I,m sure you will get lots of helpful advice through this website - I have benefitted greatly since I joined it.

Obviously I can only speak from my own experience.  I had a hysterectomy and anterior repair (to support my bladder) on the 31st January so I am nearly 3 weeks post op.  My operation was mainly to sort out a prolapsed womb.  My surgeon and anaethetist were absolutely brilliant.  From the moment I woke from the operation I had virtually no pain or discomfort.  The op was done under general anaesthetic with an epidural as well, so probably the relief from the epidural lasted for a while.  From then on I only had paracetomol and ibuprofen fir the first few days and then nothing else. I did overdo things in the 2nd week and suffered some bleeding but that was really my own fault and I am now back on track.

I can honestly say that the most discomfort I had was on the 3rd day because I needed to go to the loo!!

Have you been referred to the hospital yet or is it just your doctor recommending surgery?  If you are seen by a consultant at your hospital they will go through all the pros and cons with you.  I had no pain with my prolapse but still thought surgery the best option.  If you are in pain now, then if I were in your position I would chose surgery.  But you must feel happy with whatever decision you make for yourself.

Best wishes and let us know if you go ahead.

Sharon

x

• Posted

thank you for rely it was very helpful i don't have pre cancer or cancer however this bleeding is really getting to me after the surgery do you have to take any medicine for anything besides pain killers??
    • Posted

Hi Lizzie

As Froggy says if you have not already gone through the menopause and your ovaries are removed during your op, you will probably be put on HRT.  If like me (I'm 61) and already past menopause there is no long term medication required.  I shouldn't be too worried about HRT - personally I was on it for 10 years during my 50's and felt fine.  In fact it was only when I came off (which was my decision as I didn't think I should be on it for ever) I started noticing that my skin got drier and wrinkles crept in!!).  I have considered going back on it as I think it protects your bones etc as well.

Anyway I hope some of the replies you have received are helping you.

Best wishes

Sharon

• Posted

Hi lizzy. I'm 3 weeks post op today from My hysterectomy.from my experience I'm so pleased I had it done.I had a large fibroid (it weighed 2.4lb).the last couple of years has caused me terrible bleeding in the end leading to bleeding so much I passed out and taken to hospital where I had blood transfusion twice.so for me best thing but I was still apprehensive before the op.the operation was fine as others have said the waiting is the worse.before my op I was on 16 different tablets a day to stop the bleeding now I take paracetamol if I need to but haven't for about a week now.I had ovaries removed too so having some night sweats at the moment but can cope with these.I'm 50 so hopefully won't be forever.hope this helps a bit.ladies on this site are brilliant and for me has been really helpful over the last few weeks.all the best Karen. X
  • Posted

Hi. I'm sorry you suffering and hope this site helps you. Have you been for tests to say what is causing heavy periods in case can be sorted without surgery. I've endometriosis and causes heavy painful periods and am waiting for hysterectomy inc ovaries. I'm 39 so wish there was different option than go through menopause early. I know IdDont know your age and that may make a difference. I wish you luck finding answers. Unless needed I guess your question about medication would be taking hrt if required if ovaries removed to but if can have just uterus removed then I dont think you do need anything x
    • Posted

thank you for your rely doctor said if i don't remove it there is a 40 percent that i will have pre cancer or even  cancer in the furture?? however i didn't want to take medicine for the rest of my life either.
    • Posted

There must be something that would make Dr say that as its unusual to give percentage chance just for heavy periods so listen to their professional advice. I'm going for mine and it is scary but looking at all the helpful advice on here I'm much more reassured. I wish you well
  • Posted

Hi. I'm sorry you suffering and hope this site helps you. Have you been for tests to say what is causing heavy periods in case can be sorted without surgery. I've endometriosis and causes heavy painful periods and am waiting for hysterectomy inc ovaries. I'm 39 so wish there was different option than go through menopause early. I know IdDont know your age and that may make a difference. I wish you luck finding answers. Unless needed I guess your question about medication would be taking hrt if required if ovaries removed to but if can have just uterus removed then I dont think you do need anything x
  • Posted

sorry can't help you yet I am still in the pre op stage until I have my op on the 16 March. It is right for me but I wish I have taken the option to have one 16 years ago and 9 years ago 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.