HOLEP urologist at Mayo Clinic Ariz. or Minn.? Any recommendations?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have a 109cc prostate that both constricts the urethra and has a huge medial lobe that invades the bladder space causing retention and bladder pain. I thought I had intersticial cystitis, but a uro said no and wants to do turp. I need help finding a good holep uro. I don't think Rezum would do the job. Thanks.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

YES!  I had HoLEP by Dr. Humphreys at Mayo in Phoenix.  Check their website; he's the top guy there.  I had it done last January and couldn't be happier with the result. Insist on Humphreys.

However, I had never heard of PAE before I had the surgery, and would likely have tried that first.  A study was recently posted in this forum that said the procedure had good results and is far less invasive.

• Posted

Thanks for the info! My reading of this site is that pae is iffy in general. Furthermore I need to get rid of the medial lobe which causes significant pain.
  • Posted

My uro told me he did a Rezum successfully on a guy with a 130 CC prostate. I'd look into that and/or PAE before considering anything more invasive.

• Posted

Rezum could widen the canal of a large prostate, but I need to get rid of the medial lobe because of significant pain. And here there is no evidence.
    • Posted

Google "UNC Urology PAE" to find a good web site discussing the procedure.  

• Posted

I would second that recommendation to try other alternatives before the surgery or lasers.  I read that often, the internal (bladder mouth) spincter gets zapped, so you're left only the external spincter to hold in the urine.  Four months out, I'm still incontinent and working to hold urine in.  Many others have a better experience than I've had to be sure, but when it's you washing and changing you Depends or just being in a wet Depends all the time, it's no fun.

• Posted

Fritzi,

i had a 130g prostate with large median lobe decending into my bladder. I had awful retention requiring catheters. In April of 2015 I had a PAE at UNC Chapel Hill NC.  It was essentially painless. It relieved all my BPH symptoms and in addition my sex life which had waned due to BPH Meds returned to normal.  I am a new man. Life is good. I would at least call Dr Isaacson at UNC and discuss the possibility with him.

• Posted

Interesting. Did you have any bladder pain due to retention? Do you know if the protrusion into the bladder is gone and how big your prostate is now?
    • Posted

I only had pain when I had bad retention and had to go to emergency room for catheter. After that I self cathed before that became a problem. My prostate is 70g now. I don't know how much the median lobe shrunk, but I don't have any problems anymore. 

• Posted

Good for you William how much was your prostate reduced? My concern with PAE is the regrowth and having to redo the procedure every few years.
    • Posted

It's such a non invasive and minor procedure that doing it every few years is probably far better than the permanent side effects of the more invasive procedures

• Posted

I have to agree with old buzzard here. My prostate did not grow any between my 6 month and one year MRI's, but if it does grow again I would definitely consider a second PAE.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.