Holiday abroad on 7th Jan 2017

Posted , 8 users are following.

Need advice I had  FKR on 24 Nov 4 weeks on Friday

We booked a holiday abroad before I knew about my operation 

I really want to go but I am a little bit concerned because I was told can't fly for 3 months.What would YOU do ?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had total knee replacement and was told I couldn't fly for 8 weeks. You don't say when your flying. Speak to consultant. Wear flight socks

• Posted

When is your holiday booked for?

If you were told not to fly for 3 months and the flight is within that 3 months - I'd be very careful . If you contact your surgeon and he says it is OK and provides you with a letter saying you are fit to fly then fair enough. However, if you decide to go and anything happens that could be even remotely connected with the knee op you will probably find your insurance refusing to pay out. Flying against medical advice is not viewed favourably. 

I'm assuming you have insurance of course - but that will cover the cancellation on medical grounds and allow you to postpone the holiday until later. Mind you - if that insurance was taken out after you knew you were on the waiting list for an operation it could also be a bit tricky.

• Posted

Then I think you absolutely MUST get a letter from your surgeon if you do go. Even by Michelle's surgeon's standards you are nowhere near are you - it is barely 6 weeks.

It also depends a lot on where you are going - a short flight is one thing, a long one is another. 

This is from Chester Knee Clinic's site:

"When Can I Fly After a Knee Replacement?

There is no universal agreement as to when it is safe to travel by plane after a knee replacement. It seems that most orthopaedic surgeons advise their patients not to fly for at least 4 to 6 weeks before and after a knee replacement. Although short flights do not seem to be a problem long intercontinental flights are a potential problem as there is an increased incidence of spontaneous DVT (deep venous thrombosis), even in the young and healthy passengers. It is possible that sitting for long period of time, in a confined space and with very little leg room, could predispose to the development of deep venous blood clots, especially in people following recent major knee surgery. The likelihood of developing postoperative leg blood clots depends on many different factors, including your general health, medical history, postoperative mobility and a number of risk factors (obesity, smoking, a history of DVT, etc.). If you have to travel by plane, before 4 weeks after your knee replacement, it would be wise to contact your airline’s Medical Department and to ask them for advice. Also, please discuss this issue with your GP, as you should take further prophylactic measures for several weeks."

If you google it you can read their entire advice - including the links they supply. They point out that the airline may have a policy about transporting people post-op - my cousin was nearly refused travel shortly after a broken arm until we rang our local hospital where she had been treated and they faxed confirmation it was OK.

Here are a few more views:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/flying-after-knee-replacement-479163

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/air-travel-after-tkr-s-522680

• Posted

You need to speak to your surgeon i flew 6 months after and it was painful for days due to the pressure .

Not a good idea at all 

• Posted

hi cab209b i am 6 weeks p.o tkr and were told by my surgeon no travel what so ever for 8 weeks,so we will be leaving only after new year sob but they know best and that crappy socks hell i wonder who thought out such a way of torture and call it "prevention" of bloodclots but i will be a good patient and do as he says regards danie61

• Posted

Will try and get in touch with the surgeon or my doctor 

its going to be difficult because of Christmas just around the corner 

Thanx everyone for advice

Merry Christmas 

• Posted

I had bilateral tkr this summer. I flew 7 weeks after the surgery.---with the okay of my surgeon. He said after 6 weeks and be sure to get up a walk around a lot on the flight. I also had a wheel chair through all of the airports and that helped a lot. Ask your surgeon and have fun.
  • Posted

Oh Myyyyy, bless your heart CAB, no doubt there is a lot of money involved and others looking forward to the trip. You need to talk to your surgeon and find out exactly why you advised not to fly, is it due to the change in altitude that could increase your pain or are there other risk factors involved? I know this is a big decision and only you can make that choice, but only 4 weeks out? I'm 11 weeks out myself and am starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel, but at 4 weeks just a 30 min drive to the dr was hell. In saying this, I also know everyone is different, I am 50 and know a lady that had TKR at 68 and was bk at work on light duty lol

Good luck to you!

Keep us posted,

Merry Christmas

• Posted

Aww thank you so much for your lovely comments 

Yes it is the money issue but I have said to my other half to go on his own if I can't go.Im seeing my doctor this morning to ask him what he thinks

Everybody I've seen says how well I'm doing and I think my its a state of mind.My other half isn't much help around the house has he has his on problems.Im 62 and I just get on with it

Will let you know how I get on 

Thanks🎅

• Posted

The man from the Doctors he say YES😎😎😎

So Gran Canaria here I come

Doctor  will get a letter for me saying I'm fit to fly

Roll on 7th Jan two weeks away just what I need

Thanx so much for your support 

And have a great Christmas and a happy new year 🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄

• Posted

Hi just a quick hello from Gran Canaria 

Had no problem on ✈️ and now enjoying my last week here

• Posted

Great... all came good for you.. enjoy your last week 🍸🍹🍺🍷🍻🍾

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.