Holiday Hell!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Everyone, my first time here, and even that is making me anxious.

I have suffered from severe anxiety now, for almost two years.  I did seek help, last year, and received therapy in the form of CBT.  It helped, no end, but when my follow up was due in January this year, and I was advised follow ups had been cut, I have now, had to re-refer myself.

I am anxious all the time, and even more so with what happened recently.  My partner and I discussed having a holiday, in the UK this year.  I love the countryside and the peace and quiet would have been a great tonic for me.  Despite knowing how I am, with the anxiety, which has been exacerbated by the terror threats, and events going on in Paris and Brussels, and with my flear of flying having returned, my partner, to quote "did something stupid", and booked a trip abroad at the end of April!  This has led to my anxiety spiralling out of control.  I am constantly upset, as feel hurt that he booked a trip abroad, even though I take into account his heart may be in the right place.  I am too terrified to go, will be on a "knife edge" the whole time if I can, and it is just awful.  What has made the whole situation worse, is that he is adamant he is going whether I go or not!  I am now in a situation where I am scared to go out, to drive, go into a supermarket, and am constantly lookking at threats to the UK and elsewhere.

I don't have anyone to talk to about this, so any kind advice from hereon would be so very much appreciated.

Thanks. 

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My husband has done that to me. I ended having a good time most of the trips. Make sure you really dont want to go fear can cage you in so badly you can end up missing out on wonderful things. In terms of the agoraphobia situtatiin you need to learn proper breathing. They have bellybio available to help with that its a basic biofeedback to t ach proper breathing. Stop worrying about threats that would be a terrorists goal. Your anxiety is your own oersonal terrorist really. Bad things happen in this world all the time they just report them more and make a big hype for political reasons. Airports check out stuff pretty well now. Once in a ling while someng goes awry bu mostly it does not. Thats why it makes th news. You might end up loving your trip. Maybe ask your doctor for something you can take on the plane for anxiety. The only way to combat agoraphobia is by facing it over and over and allowing whatever symproms to fire to fire away. Its better then caging yourself in.  

• Posted

Mayb if u go ur anxiety will get better..face ur fears. I know it's hard..I know..but who better to be with than someone that loves you and can help u through this..I think u would end up having a great time..I hate missing out on great things because of my anxiety..I try to stay positive and push myself..sometimes it wins though..hope u get though this..
  • Posted

Hi

I have been trying to keep up with all the wonderful and helpful posts here, and wanted to thank you all, so very much.

Things not good at the moment, I am panicking, tearful and extremely anxious.  This is not just the holiday, other worries that might have been tiny, now seem huge!

I had an assessment the other day, following my re-referral back for CBT.  That was a difficult 1/2 hour assessment, but they think CBT will be beneficial, again, and so I now have to wait 6-8 weeks for an appointment.

I have not yet sat my partner down and spoken about the holiday.  He works long hours, and the oportunity, in a calm way, has not yet presented itself.  I can't go at the end of the month, but I don't want him to go either.  I cannot tell him not to, but someone has suggested, that out of respect and love for me, he shouldn't go on his own, knowing what it is doing to me.  I really don't know where that leaves things, except for me being incredibly upset, worried, panicking, nervous and feeling sick.  This is how I am feeling all the time, at the moment!  I am ok, though, and will plod on through it!

Thanks again, and I am staying as strong as I can.  Hope you all having a manageable day x

• Posted

Hi Everyone

Sorry, not been on here for a while now, PC problems!

Well, my partner went on our holiday, without me and, when he left, I felt I was losing all control!  We had a terrible row, he was acting extremely arrogant and just didn't seem to care how I was feeling.  As you can imagine, this just escalated my anger, and tears!

So, a week has gone and he is due back tomorrow.  I have actually surprised myself the past week.  I have still been anxious and had two panic attacks, but I have been able to "cope".  I have some lovely neighbours, who very kindly came and had a coffee with me, if they were going out, asked me to go with them, and I have kept myself so busy.  Now, here I am, once again, worried, sad, scared and feel sick.  My partner is due back tomorrow and I don't know whether I am feeling this way at the thought of seeing him, not wanting to see him, scared of a further argument, scared we may split up or just p'd off at the fact that he went at all! 

Difficult time and not feeling great!

• Posted

Hi Lynne82155

I hope you are ok.

We have been together almost 8 years.

• Posted

Have a chat when he gets home

The anxiety feeling may be excitment

I hope everything works out for you

Stay Strongcool

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.