Holidays and Diverticulitis

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I have been posting regularly on this site for over a year, and thought I had the disease pretty much under control.  Having been fine for ages, 4 days before my holidays this weekend I come down with the usual bloating, stabbing pains and 3 "hot spots".  5 bowel movements today (tmi) and no relief from the stabs and bloating.

So taking my own advice I went straight onto the 48 hour fluid only diet and a quick call to my GP.  With some reluctance (as it has not yet developed into full blown diverticulitis, and he was concerned about developing antibiotic resistance) he has prescribed antibiotics - different to the usual ones, but others on this site have mentioned them.  I explained I did not want to be rolling in agony in a foreign country, without medication.  I am going to continue on the fluids and wait and see.  I should know by Saturday, but that would have been too late to see a GP, and I fly out early Sunday.   Even if apparently improving by then, I'll make sure I have the pills at the ready with me.

However it made me think.  The last 3 flares all came just before I was due to go on holiday as well, plus on other occasions, I have instead developed a bladder infection just before a holiday.  So it has made me wonder about the psychological aspects of this disease.  In the run up to the holidays, I am dashing about and I think subconsciously worrying I am going to become ill when away.  So, I suspect I am actually making myself ill.  I know others have cited stress as a factor, and the fear of problems that goes with it.  So, still learning about this disease after 16+ years of coping with it.  More fluid, 2 paracetemol and a hot water bottle now.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

As you know I'm a newby to DD, but I wouldn't be at all surprised that the anxiety and worry has brought it on. I seem to feel worse when going on a journey with no known toilet facilities available, then start panicking that I need to 'go'. On reflection I think caring for my Mum with Alzheimer's for 4 years was the start of mine as it was extremely stressful. As the latest theory is that DD is caused by a low fibre diet, you and I know that can't be true in our cases being lovers of lots of fruit and veg!

I do hope your OK for your holiday. Best wishes, Sue

• Posted

Sorry to hear your DD is playing up l hope the liquid diet helps so there is no need for antbiotics. I have heard that anxiety or stress can cause a flareup but not enough is known about this horrible disease. I also have lupus and stress causes flares so it wouldnt surprise me if it is all connected. Ive never been prescribed antibiotics but l hear they make you feel poorly so l hope you dont need to take them. Lots of water and more water and my fingers are crossed. How long is your flight
  • Posted

I hope you get the symptoms under control and the holiday works out for you. The more I learn about Crohn's and DD the less I seem to know. Well at least as far as my symptoms go anyway. I have been free of DD flares for some 10 years although I have been diagnosed with Crohn's and had flares associated with that disease a number of times in the intervening years. When I was putting the finishing touches to our planned Christmas visits I developed a fever and acute lower abdominal pain in November I assumed it was Crohn's again. Not so. I had developed DD and an abcess and though that has now dissipated I am left with 2 hot spots. I am still on Augmentin and this along with a liquid diet for 2/3 days appear to be helping. Sorry long story but am sure that stress has a bearing on gastro health and flares.

• Posted

Sometimes pain is over an indistinct area or radiates over the whole side of the body. On one or two occasions I have been able to point a finger at the precise point of pain/inflammation. These I call hot spots but am not sure it is a recognised term or medically derived.
    • Posted

your mention of the word abscess ,,,I had  a burst abs cess which was treated with a multitude  of intravenously fed drugs ,and nothing at all to eat for 8 days. The infection was stopped and no theatre visit was necessary . 

The second abscess did cause me some discomfort, And was spotted on a scan for a totally unrelated reason. 

This abscess ,,did heal itself,  I was told that if the pouches get blocked .inflammation usually follows.

so ,bowel movement has to be constant, is my way of dealing with possible blockages regardless of what I eat .If I get a twinge ,a couple of Paracetamol usually calms it down .must admit ,,it is now off my stress list 

• Posted

I think you could be right. The same thing happens to me. It doesn’t help that I had my first DD attack whilst on holiday in Florida and was rushed to ER. I am always worried when I go on holiday even to the point where I am almost waiting for symptoms to happen. My Dr now prescribes me antibiotics just in case and that does help to alleviate the fear a lot. Keep the hot water bottle and paracetamol close and have a great holiday. 
  • Posted

Sorry to hear your not to good. I hope it settles down and you enjoy your holiday xx
  • Posted

Have you ever done any research on Aloe Vera Gel, I’ve read a lot of good things about it helping with DD?
    • Posted

I take aloe vera daily.  Started with the pure juice and switched to the capsules.  The juice certainly helped initially.  Fybogel and probiotics also help.
  • Posted

Thanks for all your good wishes - at the moment I am leaking!!!!  Any more water and I'll float away.  I certainly expect a disturbed night but better that than the alternative!!  The pills will be ready for collection tomorrow.  Once he agreed to prescribe, I half expected the pain to go, but it hasn't.  Everything crossed - literally - that I won't need them.

• Posted

Hi Felinia, so hope things calm down for you and you can have a nice holiday.

You are always so helpful to so many of us on this forum, I have been so grateful to you ,taking the time to reassure me with helpful information. xx

• Posted

Thanks.  So far so good, but the pills are going with me, just in case.   One more day of meal replacement drinks and soup, but the cat goes off to the cattery first thing tomorrow, and I'm all packed.  Signing off now until 22nd.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up