HOME and Doing Well!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Had my TKR on my right knee on Friday. They let me go home yesterday (Sunday)!

My left knee TKR was in June.

This experience was MUCH EASIER than my first one. For starters the nerve block was very effective for controlling my top of the knee pain, BUT this time I didn't have the knee buckling or the numbness long after the block was removed. I also am much more flexible, have been able to lift my leg a bit, and also had no nausea or trouble with my appetite.

I think that the physical therapy that I did with my left knee also benefitted my right (surgical) knee because my therapist had me do stretches with it and strengthening exercises, too.

No doubt my first experience taught me a lot, so I went into #2 a LOT more aware and much more prepared.

For any of you who have had one knee replaced and are wondering if you should get the other one done, I can say from MY experience that it was very much worth it! Both of my knees were bad, so I knew that they wouldn't get better on their own. My right knee was getting worse with pain being a part of each and every day.

If you see your X-RAYS and your doctor says both knees are BAD, don't hesitate to go for the second replacement. Just three days post op my SURGICAL KNEE is stronger, steadier, and a lot less painful than it has been for at least four years.

Recovery is't always fun, but at least I know that I have two sturdy knees now and will be able to play with our new GRANDDAUGHTER who will be three weeks old soon, and I will be able to enjoy our youngest son's wedding next September without having to constantly find a chair to rest my knees!

So glad I chose to have my second knee replaced!

Wishing that everyone out there experiences less pain, less swelling, and has good outcomes with knees following treatments or surgery!

3 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That's great to hear cheryl 90571

Good to hear that second time around is easier and less painful that the first TKR.

It's reasuring to hear your positive experiences.

Good wishes for a full and total recovery.

• Posted

Thanks SO MUCH, Margaret!

I was concerned about this right knee because it has always been my "Bad" knee and had gotten increasingly worse even since June when I had my first one done. I SUSPECTED that I MIGHT have more trouble with it. My surgeon said that when he opened my knee on Friday he KNEW how much pain I HAD to have been in! He was VERY HAPPY to have been able to make things right through surgery. I admire surgeons so much! I am so pleased with his attitude and his CARING!

Wishing you lots less pain, swelling, and discomfort and many successes with YOUR knees, too!

• Posted

Congratulations on a successful second knee and letting others know that your experience is the opposite of what they might fear, that instead your second went so much easier than your first. Happy healing and hope to hear more from you.
    • Posted

I was healing very quickly and people were amazed at my progress the first 4 days. I was able to walk around, had good ROM and controllable pain. Then I had 2 bad physical therapy sessions on Sunday and 2 today, and I was unable to do any steps. So I couldn't stay in the hospital but they couldn't let me go home since I wouldn't be able to step up into my house. The decision was just made to send me to a rehab facility that's pretty well known for helping people recover from bone and spine surgery. So they're picking me up in a few minutes. Hopefully in a couple days I'll be able to go home again and just be with my hubby.
    • Posted

So, so sorry to hear this!

What happened at your physical therapy sessions, if I may ask? Did the therapy cause you to injure yourself!

I hope that you will soon return to days like those first few days of successful recovery.

Please keep me posted, OK?

• Posted

Hi Busterbeans,

I was so happy to see u back on the blog! I know u don't want to go to a rehab, believe me I didn't want to either....is it possible for u to go to an acute rehab? In Massachusetts anyway, my insurance paid for an acute rehab...,usually higher caliber of rehab, if you had a bilateral TKR...which I know you also had. I wish you a lot of luck. It is not an easy recovery, I know. You will get through it.

Again, was looking for you in the blog....this blog is helpful on many levels.

Take care

Joyce

• Posted

Hi Joyce and Cheryl! I am now at an acute rehab. I was surprised to be allowed in because criteria were recently tightened. I think the phys therapists pushed me to do too many reps of difficult exercises that exhausted my knees and swelled them up. At the same time I was taken off the IV prescription to reduce swelling and i wasn't able to find a way to elevate my feet. This place feels very foreign -- I was even checked to see if I was using drugs, the first time ever -- but I think it will be the one to get be back home.
    • Posted

I'm so sorry that the PTs weren't more gentle with you! I don't understand their thinking! If you were doing very well, why change a winning strategy?

I will be praying that this trouble will be VERY short-lived and that you will soon be back to your successful first four days of progress!

Please keep in touch! I feel that you, Elaine and I are related somehow--through our very closely-completed surgeries last week!

• Posted

Hi BB

Did u actually go home after two days? Was it a home care PT that u had a negative experience with? Glad u are in an acute rehab now! I'm just waiting to get on a plane to fly from San Francisco to Boston. So there really is life after a bilateral TKR...I promise!

Take care and be patient with yourself

Joyce

• Posted

I was in the hospital for 6 days before being transferred yesterday to this acute rehab. It's very regimented here with 90 minutes of physical therapy in the morning and in the afternoon.  And it's tough PT. At the hospital I wasn't able to walk up a 6-inch step which I have to do twice to get into my house. But the step test was at the end of my workout and they had me do it backwards so for a few seconds one knee has to hold your whole body weight and it's hard to see what you're doing. Today I did 2-inch steps and tomorrow we'll tackle 4-inch steps. They are surprised at my walking abilities as well as my upper body and leg strength. I just hate having to ring a buzzer for someone to take me to the toilet all night and day but they have liability issues. Am also battling horrendous blisters on the backs of both legs from the tape used in the operating room. A week after the surgery. Can't wait for a life after this. Can't wait to go home! Thanks for checking on on me.
  • Posted

Well done!!!! You sound very upbeat, I think maybe with the second one you know what to expect, unlike the first time which was a giant leap into the unknown!!! Keep us up to date o your progress .
    • Posted

That is FOR SURE a true statement..."Leaping into the unknown!"

I had the BASIC IDEA of what would take place, but more of the experience was a surprise than actually knowing what would happen from day to day.

It is very interesting comparing LEFT KNEE to RIGHT KNEE in regards to pretty much EVERYTHING! I'm guessing that depending on many factors, the surgical team adjusts methods as they go based on what they find when the knee is opened. My surgeon said that until he actually gets in there to see the damage, he is not completely sure of all that he may need to do (repair, scraping, cutting etc.)

I just felt in better shape overall going into surgery this time. It is a real testimony for physical therapy which rehabs Knee #1 and strengthens Knee #2!

Thanks so much for the encouragement!

How are YOU feeling?

• Posted

That's awesome Chery. I can't wait to get my 2nd done. Next spring, but I'm doing physio on that one as well. I'm having active release therapy to break down a lot of scar tissue that is already there. So hopefully, like you I'll be going in with better muscles to start with. It's Thanksgiving Day here in Canada so you have lots to be thankful for. Keep us updated.  
    • Posted

You will be very glad that you are doing your active release therapy! I was skeptical at first about all the work I was doing with my "bad" leg because it was hurting A LOT. The muscles were getting much stronger, though, even through the pain. It is making recovery much easier!

It is helpful being able to compare LEFT KNEE with RIGHT KNEE. I also kept a journal the first time around which is proving to be quite interesting as I compare both experiences.

Happy Thanksgiving, good friend to our north! We live just a couple miles from the shore of Lake Erie, so about 80 miles across the lake is CANADA!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.