Hoovering

Posted , 9 users are following.

How many weeks post surgery did you go back to doing the hoovering

0 likes, 92 replies

92 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hoovering arrgghh no. How am I going to cope, as my brother says I live in a Zoo , 4 large. semi long haired cats and 2 spaniels. I've got wooden floors downstairs I've got a rubber broom to use to pick up all the hair. Would I be ok to use that?
    • Posted

It''s very light.

Although I would have to bend and stretch to get under the furniture. Is that allowed or is that another no no. The only info I got on discharge was not to lift anything heavier than a kettle.

• Posted

Cystocele and Entrocele repair and perineal refashioning. Had it down just over a week ago.
    • Posted

I'd take it easy hun. If you have help enjoy it.

It's hard to just sit and let others take over sometimes though.

The thing that was the hardest for me was bending over.

Happy recovery x

• Posted

No bending jolil for about 6 weeks and definitely no squatting. I absolutely despair when I hear that very little information is given on discharge. I'm surprised more women don't have problems.
    • Posted

Should say do have problems not don't 
  • Posted

I told my husband that surgeon said I could never hoover again!!!
  • Posted

I am 3 weeks post op (vaginal hysterectomy, posterior and anterior repair) 37 years old.

Done very little as the tiredness has completely floored me. Just starting to feel more like myself and have managed a few short walks no problem and have been pottering at home doing few jobs (no lifting just general light stuff)

I have noticed I am starting to feel sore down there and still a bit of a bulge which is a concern, I was really sore prior to surgery which I put down to the prolapse. Just wondered if anyone else has had this and if they can reccomended anything. I'm assuming I still have some swelling which should subside with time??? Been using sudocrem and vagasil. No sign of infection and looks pretty good considering, I am still bleeding/discharge so maybe constant wear of pads not helping?

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks ladies 😘 xxxx

• Posted

jill what you describe is perfectly normal so please don't worry. The swelling will reduce but you must give it time. You should expect to feel sore because your sutures will be tightening around your tissues. At some point you may see them in your underwear or in the toilet bowl. Were you advised to use sudocreme and vagasil?
    • Posted

Thank you for reassurance, No I wasn't advised anything, do you think I would be best not to use those creams? Just feel I need something to sooth the area as becomes itchy sometimes when been onfeet too long.

Thanks xx

• Posted

jill I have to be honest we advised patients not to use anything because it can make the stitches soggy but as long as you are using it on the outside ie the labia area I don't think it will do any harm. Were you advised about baths and showers?
    • Posted

Please be careful of what you put on down there. I think that may have caused all the issues that I have had over the past few weeks.
    • Posted

Am hoping to see my GP tomorrow and ask if I can go back asap. There is still a small ulcer just inside the entrance to my vagina but not nearly as sore as I was a couple of weeks ago. I feel that as I have been away from my job for nearly 13 weeks that I should at least try going back on a reduced timetable. Three hours a day to start with then building up over three weeks to full time again.

Not easy getting GP appointment though. Like gold dust

• Posted

Aww bless you..I'm going back tommorow reduced hours,.i don't get full pay anymore.i had to use last week as a weeks holiday..I can't afford not to work x
    • Posted

I was told no bath for 6 weeks, only putting the cream on outside areas but will do with caution, thank you xxx
    • Posted

At least you were told not to have a bath, some ladies have no idea as to whether they can have a bath or not.
    • Posted

Coconut oil isn't recommended because it can make the wound and sutures wet and prevent healing. I've mentioned this in previous posts as have other ladies. It's ok one healing has taken place.
    • Posted

Each to their own. It worked wonders for me and I've not had any issues
    • Posted

I've only mentioned it because Urogynaecologists are advising women not to use it following surgery but you haven't followed any advice.
    • Posted

I have followed advice but also listened to my own body.

• Posted

I don't know who gave you the advice doris but it wasn't recommended by the RCOG. 
    • Posted

RCOG isn't my body. I listened to my body and it's done me right
    • Posted

Up to now but you'll only know if the surgery has been successful in 5 years time. 
    • Posted

Child birth caused this because of a midwife. I look after my body and will continue to do so.

If this problem shows back up in five years so be it but I will keep weight training and eating well from now till then.

• Posted

Hi Matron why 5 years if you don't mind me asking 😊
    • Posted

If the surgery fails within 5 years the chances are it's not the fault of the surgeon.
    • Posted

Oh oki doki my surgeon said it last about 10 years 😊
    • Posted

I'm assuming it will last as long as you look after yourself.

It's a tough one xx

• Posted

It should debra or even longer but it's important to follow all recommendations for the first 6 months. We are finding now the repairs are lasting for longer than 10 years thank goodness and that's because of the extra training undertaken by Urogynaecologists. Plus research is much more advanced and we know much more about post operative care.
    • Posted

Aww, so happy for you hunny. Keep in touch. I will let you know what happens when I go for my check.

I feel great. So happy you're nearly there xx

• Posted

Aww thank you..to be fair I didn't have any problems..I'm so lucky..I'm back to work tommorow on reduced hours I've been off for 10 weeks..😊
    • Posted

Me too hun.

It's been a nice break for me but I thought it would be worse than what it was.

Take care xx

• Posted

Oh what job do you do..and me too.it was the tiredness that did me to be fair xx
    • Posted

I work at a local university.

More brain than manual! Will be back in the gym next week though.

Just been told no weighted squats but everything else will be ok as long as my body let's me.

Hope work is good tomorrow x

• Posted

I work in a little cafe in a company..7.30 -2 but I'm on reduced hours how long have you been off x
    • Posted

Well I was on maternity leave so been off a year. X
    • Posted

Not far at all.

Have you ever made or tried beef bone broth?

Google it. I recommend it the world over x

• Posted

Good stuff. It's long winded to make but so good for you x
    • Posted

When did you have your surgery and where x
    • Posted

In January at Leicester general hospital. Dr venketrahman. X

• Posted

Ok Dec 22nd at the Nottingham treatment centre Mr Ghosh x
    • Posted

I only had rectocele surgery though. The lady next to me had both done and she has been the same as me.

She recovered so well. She is in her 60s too!

• Posted

Was he a urogynoelist however you spell it lol x
    • Posted

I had posterior repair but it was quite bad so he said I'm 54 x
    • Posted

I'm sure she is just a gynaecologist. A lady! I was so happy. X

• Posted

Have you has any issues? I had a little swelling and thought my bladder had gone but I was wrong. I'm all good.

Gone really well x

• Posted

I have followed my own body though. We are all different and have different abilities.

I wouldn't do something if I thought it would cause damage.

Went running last week and that was fine. I'm so glad I had it done x

• Posted

Just tiredness got me x
    • Posted

My dad always said, 'your body heals when you sleep'. Rest is good.

I did a fast. I believe in self healing.

When the body is busy digesting food it doesn't have time for anything else.

I think my fast gave my body time to heal itself.

I'm doing another tomorrow for three days x

• Posted

38 years young! 😉 xx
    • Posted

I think we are the lucky ones x
    • Posted

Hi Matron, I read this discussion with some interest as i was given hardly any advise on what to do post op apart too ,from not to lift anything heavier than 4kg for about 6 months and to rest up completely for the first week after the op and no sex til I saw my Urpgyno again.

I had to ask the questions I needed answering myself and got the answers from the Urogyno but mostly from the internet and this wonderful forum. No one said I couldn't bend down to pick things up just not to pick heavy things up as I could hurt internal stitches etc. So I have been picking small things up.We had some landscape gardeing scheduled and paid for the weekend and so I helped pick up rubbish paass tools etc. Must admit I did bend down a lot but never lifted anything heavy but on my feet alot. My fit bit showed 13000 steps I used to try for 11000 a day before my op but have found with resting etc I am lucky if I manage 2000 a day.I also put the mop through do light housework like the dishes and light gardening jobs, pick fruit and vegies and water.but on my feet alot . I felt ok. No heavy feeling down below I am a little uncomfortable in the rectum area especially after a BM, it smarks alot..think that is the stiches tightening and the wound healing. At least that's what I did think but after reading your replies to the hoovering question here I am wondering if I have pulled something. I have very litlle discharge and no bleeding and was wondering how long the stitches take to dissolve come out as I have no evidence of that happening as yet.

My wound area feels very short .. the in the perinieum area that is stitched up feels less than an itch and although I am not game to look down there yet but does feel huge as if thy have not stitched me back up completely but then I guess it would be as they had to open it wide to stitch everything back into place.  Sorry got side tracked from my purpose of posting , to ask afew questions and say thanks for all info on resting. I know how frustrating it can be to see your partner not do a job prpoerly and want to do it yourself but I am so thankful that other ladies are like me and can't help but do some light gardening and housework but I am also so aware of your expert advise and do rest up afterwards. 

So to my questions.. how long till stitches start to come out? Is it noraml to be loose and large down there and will it tighten.

Should I be worried that my stitches seem to be staying put  8 days post op and that it feels like they could land a jumbo down there? Will it all tightn up after I start back on kegals after 6 weeks?You mention baths? why cant you have a bath, I am not a bath kind of girl but was told i could shower same day and did. I shower before bed daily and after BM as the area is so hard to clean with wound and slight piles.. Is this ok?  Afterwards it is very dry and like a fellow patient stated so itchy and dry I did wonder if it was thrush but no symptoms would love to put something on wound rectum area to help with piles and smarking but won't now I have read this discussion. Sorry for all questions but really apprecaite you putting my mind at peace. Thanks in advance. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.