hope about olanzapim

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi there I was put on Zyprexa for almost 15 years and I developed diabetes. for the past 12 months my doctor has been tapering it from 20 milligrams down to 2.5 I did it really gradually. I stayed on a dose for a month and then reduced and then sometimes three weeks or two weeks and then reduced. I have not had any problems with insomnia or any other symptoms. mind you I am on loxipim and paxil also. now I am on 1.25 milligrams and will stay on this for a month and then go down to .625 I am scared of completely going off of the drug even though me reductions have been easy. But I am determined to go through the withdrawal process even if it is distressing. I hope that my story has given someone else hope because I want to hear success stories that help me think that I too can be free of this drug. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi J.T.

I dont have any good advice other than my support. I was - until yesterday - on 5 mg of Olanzapine but only took 2.5 mg last night. So far feel no withdrawal symptoms. Hope it’ll stay this way as the idea is to get completely off it.

I can however say that if you are on winch a low dose and haven’t experienced any issues my psychiatrist would say “a Juan wean off it... you’ll be ok”. Let me know how it goes for you and I’ll let you know as well (hoping the kilos will also drop off of me while weaning off the Olanzapine!).

• Posted

hi there monna. i am glad your weaning off of this drug. it can be very harmful for some people this is my fourth day of being on 1.25 milligrams and i am very grateful that i haven't had insomnia. i plan to drop to .625 in a month. i always remember what a person on youtube said about weaning off of SSRI. to do it gradually and gently. hope all goes well with you

• Posted

Hi J.T.

Have Hou had Abu withdrawal issues at all? Not sure what to expect. 

• Posted

hi there monna. no i have not had any withdrawal issues but different people react in different ways and it all depends on whether you are on other medications and how long you taper, your body chemistry whether you exercise, have a Higher Power, eat right, have support.  I have read some pretty horrendous withdrawal stories with this med but also, i have heard that 40 percent of people who withdraw have no withdrawal effects at all. one big thing is if you smoke. i believe that my success in coming off of this drug is directly related to the fact that  i gave up smoking five years ago.
  • Posted

*have you had any ;-)
    • Posted

It is nice to finally hear a “good” story. I think I have a slight nausea but that’s it. Where did you read about the 40%?
    • Posted

Btw I am also on Cymbalta (and Diazepine when needed). 
    • Posted

hi monna. i learned about the 40 % from a publication by Will Hall on coming off of psychiatric medication. he is a very good resource. i think it is easier coming off of Zyprexa if you are one other meds for some reason . for instance because i am on loxipim i am not worrying about psychotic symptoms coming off the Zyprexa, but really i'd like to be off of everything in the future with the help of my psychiatrist.  i also have a great therapist too.

• Posted

Thank you for taking time to answer me - although you were actually looking for some reassurance. I can be here to listen anytime 🙌🏻

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.