Hopefully all worthwhile......

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi there, I am due for my bladder repair on 11th April (no hysterectomy).     My surgeon said it would take 3 weeks for recovery........but reading a lot of people's experiences on the forum, it seems this may have been an overstatement?    I am worried because we would be due back in the UK first week in May. We are currently staying with family in South Africa.    I am wondering if I should rebook our flight and cancel the op?    I feel very worried now and anxious.          I guess a forum is mostly for those who need encouragement like myself, advice and help, and this is a lovely forum.     I would love to hear some early success stories right now if possible 😊

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

THANKYOU all so much for your responses.     I have cancelled the op and reinstated our trip back to the UK this Saturday.  I never took into account enough the plane journey of 11 hours, suitcases etc. although hubby would do the most work.   I believe my surgeon was a little over enthusiastic with his recovery period.    Thankyou all for enlightening me.   I will be looking into booking a urogynae in Northampton and hopefully there's not too long a delay in the waiting time for the op.   I would love to go for the local anesthetic procedure as I get so sick for days after a general anesthetic 🙁 but I think that is probably too new yet for being countrywide.

will chat again soon.

• Posted

Hallo!         Following on since earlier this year......I had my op on Tuesday! I had to have a hysterectomy, front wall back wall repair, vagina too, for a bad bladder prolapse.  I opted for a spinal block which was amazing!    I am now day 5 post op and feeling sore down below with most pressure around the backside area.   My surgeon said I will feel spasms in that area and I am experiencing that!!   Not nice!    So far good BMs though.   I am resting a lot and walking around the house a few minutes at a time.   Still feeling lightheaded if I stand too long.   Hubby doing cooking and cleaning.   I had the op done at Northampton.    What can I expect next?
    • Posted

Hello carole and it's good to read it went well. Read the South Tees information on the Genitourinary home page under Useful Resource but at the moment you must rest for 2 weeks, do nothing except walk around for a minute or two every hour. No lifting anything heavier than a kettle with enough water to make a cup of tea. You may find the hysterectomy forum useful as well but the rectocele repair will be the most painful. Don't be a martyr, if you have pain take something. Listen to your body has always been my motto for the last 45 years so if you're tired rest. 

• Posted

Thankyou Matron, I am finding those spasms/pains in the backside the worst  In fact if they weren't there it wouldn't be so bad.   Thankyou for telling me.  I am resting plenty believe me....not lifting even the kettle.....and on my bed.  I am amazed that when I wash it feels like a 12 year old again! Normal vagina and no bulge!   I was told that my surgeon put in very good strong stitches inside for the prolapse 😊

• Posted

..........by the way any idea how long those spasms may last for?  
    • Posted

You are doing really well carole and you know exactly what you shouldn't do so keep that up and it will be worth it. It sounds as though your consultant has used the type if sutures that take longer to dissolve which I had so they'll take longer to dissolve which is a good thing. I know at the moment you don't have too much pain but don't be alarmed if in a few weeks time it may feel worse as the sutures start to heal the repair. It's just sometimes it worries patients but it's perfectly normal. 

• Posted

Oooops pressed the wrong button. I remember the spasms very well but from what I can remember they they only lasted for about a week or 10 days. It's usually from the bowel being handled xx

• Posted

Good evening,   I was so hoping the rectocele spasmy type pain would be gone at 10 days but no joy!   It feels also like a bruised coccyx too.   It eased a bit yesterday but today is not as good.   I guess I am looking for some assurance....will it go soon?        😩      I am 10 days post op.   

• Posted

Good morning, rectal spasms gone now but I have lower abdomen type aches as if I want to put something hot on my tummy to make it feel better.   I am now 2 weeks and 4 days post op.    Is this normal?   Again, I just need reassurance.    thankyou......
    • Posted

Hi, I'm just over 3 weeks post op for cystocele/rectocele and bladder repair. I still occasionally get the rectal spasms and for the past couple of days experiencing a lot of pressure and aches down below with abdo discomfort, I've been told by other ladies it's normal. I was a little concerned at first but reading other ladies experiences with recovery has eased my worries.

• Posted

Hi Liza, glad to know we're on the same page as it were although sympathies all round for all of us who experience the same.  I think we are the same time as well....I am 3 weeks 4 days post op.   Spasms gone now but abdominal pain is similar to tummy gripes and period pain .....I am a wimp for any pain so do take painkillers.    How are you doing?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.