hoping to offer support and share experience

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi, I am new to the forum. I am a 39 year old mum who has experienced various anxiety and depression disorders throughout my teen years to the present day. Over the past year i had my first experience of what i believe to be depersonilisation[horrid].I have got over the worse of that but it has not left me completely. I gain quite alot of comfort from hearing other peoples stories and I am happy to help others with use of my own ideas and experiences.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marie,

My anxiety disorder started last year when I was 26. It seemed to come out of nowhere; I experienced a panic attack before I went to bed and thought I was dying. I experienced almost all of the classic symptoms: a headrush, a tingling in my head and limbs, weakness in my legs, feeling hot/cold, nauseous, heart pounding, dizzy, etc. Through it I was convinced my head was going to explode. I continued to suffer these attacks several times a week and felt depersonalization. I would feel relatively fine but would feel like I was floating through life, and I was in my own bubble. I was not me and my husband was very confused when I explained my dreamy feelings. I was not physically ill but did not want to go out, to work, etc. I was wrongly diagnosed with migraines as I was suffering with chronic headaches at the time and so the symptoms seemed to line up. I have been on medication which has reduced the panic attacks but has given me weight gain. I don't get these attacks daily anymore but still feel "off" especially in public (in stores). The panic has making me somewhat agraphobic. How have you fought with these feelings? On the day to day I push through and try to carry on, but when the attacks come I cannot calm myself down. I try to tell myself this has happened before and you did not die, but when its happening I think the worst and feel deathly for an hour. Since the attacks have lessened I have started venturing out again, going to stores etc. but feel borderline panicky still. Any insights on anxiety and how to deal with the guilt (I feel badly when husband/family tries to relate and can't).

• Posted

Hi sweetie, sorry if I don't respond straight away as i am a working mum and  don't get chance to sit down until the evening.Firstly i can relate to everything you are saying, i have had to call my husband on occasions to collect me from Tesco because i am so anxious! You are not going mad, you will not die from your panic and its sounds like you are doing well because you are pushing yourself to be in social situations.Keep busy and social even though its uncomfortable, think about what truly makes you happy and make sure you do it, have things with you that bring you comfort ie- family photos,special items that mean something to you, breathing slowly during panic attacks and having fresh air in the room. I find daily exercise a great mood lifter,You are not alone, this is so common! xxxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.