Hormone Imbalance? PCOS? What is wrong with me, HELP!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 24 years old and have struggled with awful awful PMS symptoms for a long time now. My avoidance to see a doctor has been 1 being terrified to get "bad" news, and 2 - thinking that what I was experiencing was "normal" for far too long. Outward symptoms are facial hair on my chin that grow thick and stiff. Not all over, but enough to make me embarrassed about it. I keep gaining weight and nothing helps. My PMS is AWFUL. I get it a week before my period is due, and I'm like a completely different person. Depressed, anxious, absolutely exhausted, horrible brain fog, migraine headaches, and my breasts always get super painful and develop lumps (that go away once period is over). Day 1 Cramps are so debilitating I often have to take off work. Last month my cramps were so bad I went to the hospital, which is something I DON'T do. I got a sonogram and everything came back normal. PS: I had breasts looked at too because I develop a lump in the same spot every month. I told my doctor my armpit gets HUGE AND FAT and the tissue around where my breast starts / armpit area has a lump there ONLY during PMS/period. I had that looked at too, Dr. said I *didn't* have fibrocystic breasts and that it was a clogged duct. There's no way! I get huge lumps all over my breasts every month. I know I'll be forgetting a million things that I've been struggling with but I'm tired of doctors blowing me off. I finally was approved to get extensive bloodwork done with a new doctor but even she said it would be nearly impossible to see an imbalance of hormones in my blood. If tests come back negative for PCOS, what other options do I have? I feel like I need to advocate for myself with doctors but I'm running out of possibilities on what could be going on and what they could check for. I'm so miserable, I feel good 2 weeks out of every month, and then as soon as PMS hits and a week long period, I feel miserable I can barely get out of bed. 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

This is what I get right before and right after my period. I get heavy brain fog with a headache, face is hot, EXHAUSTION to the point where my eyes are shutting on their own, depression and anxiety. Right before your period your estrogen rises, and right after it decreases. If you get this right before maybe its due to, too much estrogen. I know mine is a lack therefore right after, after my period.
  • Posted

I just read through you post again and I don’t understand how your doctor said it would be nearly impossible to see in imbalance of hormones in your blood. As a female you have levels of estrogen and androgen which are normal, and if the level of androgen higher than normal and the level of estrogen is lower you have a hormone imbalance. That is usually the first test for PCOS. Have you had an ultrasound?
    • Posted

I couldn’t believe it either, but that is what she said to me. Last month when I went to the hospital for terrible cramping, they did an ultrasound there and said it came back normal. I was shocked and thought for sure the pain was from a ruptured ovarian cyst. But they said they saw nothing. It was discouraging for sure. I’m getting lab work done this week and then I’m switching to a new gyn because I definitely don’t feel like I’m being taken seriously for my amount of pain and misery. 
    • Posted

Did you have the internal test, that is more accurate than the one with the gel on the tummy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.