Hormones & Acid Reflux

Posted , 7 users are following.

So after much research and talking with my doctor...I have developed Acid Reflux (mild Gerd) due to entering menopause. I just turned 50 and at 49 and 1/2 I started with all this reflux stuff.  My doctor says hormones can play a role on Spinchter relaxing from the dropping of hormones.  For me, food intolerance has nothing to do with relux. I was eating every diet plan in the book - "Dropping the Acid Diet", GADS, Paleo.... I still obviously need to eat clean and not a lot of spicy food, etc.  BUT the main culprit is hormones.  Has anyone seen this correlation as well? 

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I feel so much better with you saying this...I just started all of this indigestion and acid reflux at 41 out of the blue and cannot fiqure out what it was from...until recently I saw an article about perimenopause that can cause all these symptoms...I have had sudden tears, horrible headaches, indigestion and acid reflux all this past year and I really think it has to do with hormones...feeling so frustrated and confused.
  • Posted

it's reflected in a few medical posts, but found it more "loosely" tied to age/menapause.The below might be more relevant...

A recent communication between Mary (scientific researcher in Sydney) and Magi in Spain, re reflux/menin (protein supressor) the key part was Mary's warning of deficiencies of vitamins, minerals etc via the use of anti acid suppresants.And to rule out Hiatal Hernia, HPylori, weight, thyroid,and medications before investigating other areas. notwithstanding both know the usual unhelpful habits...over eating, diets, lifestyle, positioning, and other relative disorders.

I've probably missed some but thought this might be helpful to your post...btw...if it is related to menapause, it may go away on it own if not prolonged by other things. (I cannot recall my source on this), but again...thought it might be of some interest. claudio

• Posted

Really interested in what you've said Krist, I am 49 and I think I'm in perimenopause.

have had acid problems since April, and have always been careful with my diet and

dont like soft fizzy drinks, so wasn't impressed to be told I have acid reflux. Maybe after the menopause these symptoms might pass.

• Posted

Hi Krist. I had the same problem and I am more and more convinced that is due to me starting the menopause process. I had sudden acid reflux symptons, quite bad ones, last December. I am on omeprazole now and doing slowly better, but my anxiety is at roof level and I don't sleep well an night with mild swets awakenings. I have started (In Novemebr before the "Acid reflux" attacks) having alternate periods...so to me, this is very much linked to menopause. I am seeing my gynecologist for a fybroid and will investigate this with her in more depth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.