Horrible chronic stomach issues for years, doctor won't listen to me?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, totally new here. I'm so sorry if this out of line, or if I'm not supposed to be posting. I've just really hit my limit and I'm at a loss. Ever since I was young I had issues with chronic constipation. It wasn't a big deal growing up. However, once I hit high school in 2012, I started to have horrible bouts of diarrhea. Immediately after eating a "trigger" food, which could range from anything from pizza to broccoli, I would be hit with intense abdominal cramps that wouldn't stop unless I passed the most horrifying diarrhea. It's always bright yellow and fatty, and my cramps would stop right after I finished flushing the food from my system. It was as if whatever I had eaten hadn't digested at all.

This continued for a little while. Eventually, in my senior year in 2015, I hit another block. I was so constipated, I didn't pass a bowel movement for about three weeks. I thought I was going to die. My doctor just told me to drink milk of magnesia (which did nothing) and put benefiber into everything I consumed. Finally my mom hounded her enough to send me to a gastroenterologist. I thought we were finally getting somewhere, but the minute I met the doctor I knew I had hit another dead end. She took one look at my mother (who is on the overweight side) and told me I needed to eat better. I begged her to listen to me, but she said that all teenagers had the same issues as me because teenagers have bad diets. She wouldn't even schedule me a return appointment or do any blood tests

Anyway, my symptoms are still continuing. I recently got diagnosed with Lupus in February. This has been hell on my body, and it seems to be making my stomach issues worse. I've been passing yellow stools and stools with white/yellowish chunks in it. I'm constipated all the time, and nearly everytime I go to the bathroom, I get these painful fissures that bleed. EVERYTHING I eat causes my gas and bloating. I always carry around gas-x where I go. I'm really at my wits end. 

I always thought I might have IBS, but I'm starting to get scared that my symptoms could be something worse. I'm 20 years old now, and I've been having these issues for about 8 years. I'm an adult and I want to be taken seriously now! I try my best to eat well. I don't eat tons of red meats or soda or dairy. Does anyone have any idea what my symptoms might be aligned with? How do I get my doctor to get her head out of her ass and actually listen to me?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Me again....also look up cholestraymine.   I took one box of that with 50 billion probiotics and viola my diarrhea stopped.  You have to get a prescription for it.   Won’t hurt to try all of this.   It is for a bile problem.....you mix with water, best to put in a small blender and then drink it.   Hope you try it....
  • Posted

Hi jessag

Have you had all your vitamins and minerals checked such as vit D and B12. Low levels of these vits can cause stomach problems. Also low levels of potassium and sodium and other minerals. You may have to completely change your diet as you have Lupus an autoimmune disease. Go completely gluten free, lactose free, wheat free, caffeine free, sugar free and eat prebiotic foods and take probiotics. Also, keep a check of your body alkalinity, if you have an imbalance this will cause stomach issues and with your health in general....Ask you doctor to carry out a complete blood count with a Serum B12 blood test....

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles. I know how hard it is. For the constipation try yoghurt, high fiber cereals and vegetables and drink lots of water. Water keeps things moving in your digestive tract. The fact that you have abdominal cramps which are eased after a bowel movement seems to suggest IBS. There could also be a problem with your gallbladder (stones or sludge) which is preventing enough bile from reaching your intestines resulting in yellow stool. Definitely change your doctor. You deserve to be taken seriously. I cannot stand doctors who are dismissive. You can try prescription IBS medication to see if that helps. Also, do a liver function test and ultrasound/CT scan to see what's going on with your gallbladder. Good luck. Stay off fatty food for now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.