Horrible feeling in throat

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I am not new to anxiety, and I am aware of my typical symptoms, one of which is a horrible feeling in my throat, like a choking feeling almost. I get it on and off and can normally cope, but this time I've had it for weeks and weeks, constant. I'm not even that anxious. But it's driving me round the twist. Does any one else suffer like this? If so, any helpful tips for me? Thanks xx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cara, yes, I do get that. It is so annoying. The moe aware I am of it, worse it seems to get. I have found that so long holding yoga stretches with deep breathing does help it. It's the muscles in yourneckresponding to the tension of the anxiety. It feels like somene has put a collar around your neck. My awesome doctor let's me have a prescrition for xanex to take when I need it. If allof my other coping mechnisms fail, I take thatand poof it's gone. I'm 62 and my doctors trust me to not abuse my meds. When I was younger, my doctors did not want to give it to me. If you can ask your doc, it really is such a relief to know that you can get rid of that feeling. I take it as a challenge to get by without the med and only go there whe all else fails. I also exercise regularly which helps keep the adrenalin burned up and helps tremendously.fast walking or running works great. Yoga is also awesome. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks Katy, it's reassuring to know I'm not alone. And mine definitely gets worse the more I think about it. Health anxiety is a nightmare. Is the meds you take similar to diazapam?? I have some my doctor gave me a while ago but a little frightened to take them. I just can't seem to shift this feeling at the mo, it's like there's something in my throat or like you said a strangulation feeling. It's really hard to live with. X
  • Posted

Hi. I have recently, since put on corgard it pretty much has gone thank goodness. That's an awful feeling. I wasn't even anxious. Couldn't sleep with that feeling either.
  • Posted

hi cara - i have had that, too. icy vold water with ice cubes helps me. i think it's like i can really feel the water or ice cube going down my throat, so i know there is no obstruction. it reassures me. eventually, i forget about the closing in sensation and it goes away. hope you find relief!
    • Posted

Wow. What a good idea as I never thought of that. Good to know in case it would happen again to me. 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.