Hospitalized with severe Diverticulitis

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was having horrible abdominal pain since last Sunday and thought I had a flu bug. I've been diagnosed with Diverticulitis before but never hospitalized. CT scan with contrast showed severe inflammation in the sigmoid colon. I have been pumped full if IV antibiotics since I got into a room at 5:00am Saturday (I got here at 11:00 pm Friday). I am taking occasional pain killers but I wanted to be awake for visits yesterday. I finally slept last night and I woke up this morning crying my eyes out. I'm worried. I'm drinking a ton and my urine is dark yellow. I have pain every time I eat anything and I'm not on a restricted diet in here. I had severely low potassium as well and have been wearing a heart monitor and they out me in a cardiac floor. I am also having magnesium in my I've because that was low as well. I feel like I'm going nuts in here. I took some Miralax early Friday and was able to have a small bowel movement after not having one for several days and not I haven't had one since. I also have a hiatal hernia, gerd, and Barrett's esophagus so it's hard to pick the foods. I miss my kids. I keep on panicking and painkillers just cause constipation. Thanks for listening.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear you are suffering do you live in the UK?  Im surprised you haven't been given a liquid diet until the inflammation or infection clears especially as you haven't had a bowel movement the solid food must be building up in your gut.  Have they said you have a blockage which is causing the constipation. I hope you soon get some answers and start to feel better but you are in the right place.

• Posted

They said I don't have any blockages and I don't really even feel constipated I wonder if my body is even producing poop at this moment. I ate yesterday lean meats and vegetables. They think the diverticulitis is healing up on with all the antibiotics. I now have cystitis which I had never heard of and will be going home with more medication.

• Posted

Well Kim, I am so sorry to hear about all your health problems. I can't offer much advice unfortunately, except to say that you need to share your many concerns with a doctor, to put your fears to rest. As you are in hospital at present then you should be able to see one at some point. Write down all your questions when you have a quiet moment to make sure you get everything down.

If you have gerd etc, and are taking PPI meds such as omeprazole then this can affect absorption of magnesium and potassium etc, which sounds like it is being treated, which is a positive thing.

If you are eating sparsely then you will not have much bowel movement, but once again question the nurses or doctors for help. Similarly the dark urine, it might be that your medication makes it darker, I have heard that some can do that, but I don't know which specifically. I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I addressed everything and I have cystitis I guess that's the reason for my urine you issues at the moment. Going home with more antibiotics. I will be getting discharged today which is good because I don't have PtO and I need to go to work. I'm so tired right now though.

• Posted

So sort to hear you are in hospital but you are in the best place. I am sure the DRS will sort you out and you are on the mend soon 
    • Posted

I now also have cystitis the doc just told me. Going home with more meds.
    • Posted

Cranberry juice is good for cystitis they recommend on some wards in the hospital 
  • Posted

Hi Kim

You need to drink plenty of water for the cystitis to flush the bugs out .

I add the cystitis sachets you can get from your supermarket or chemist.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I'm trying to drink in just exhausted today. Yesterday I was walking around and today I just want to sleep.

• Posted

It can wear you out . Rest as much as you can and DON'T take

cranberry juice , it's full of sugar and can make cystitis worse .

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thank you. I started on oral antibiotics this afternoon and have been violently throwing them up. I hope they still let me go home.
    • Posted

The ward I worked on recommended cranberry juice for UTIs   It was a few years ago so maybe they have changed there minds 
    • Posted

Hi Susan

The medical profession have been getting it wrong for years

with the recommending of cranbury juice .It makes things worse .

The best thing for a UTI is plenty of water with sodium citrate sachets added

or a quarter teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda.

I have a long term bladder condition , that's how I know all this .

• Posted

Thank you. I can't drink it anyways I have severe acid reflux.

• Posted

Thank you Linda. I have had these weird feelings before in my urethra so I wonder if I went u diagnosed for awhile. Cystitis is hard to diagnose they say.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.