Hospitalized with severe Diverticulitis

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I was having horrible abdominal pain since last Sunday and thought I had a flu bug. I've been diagnosed with Diverticulitis before but never hospitalized. CT scan with contrast showed severe inflammation in the sigmoid colon. I have been pumped full if IV antibiotics since I got into a room at 5:00am Saturday (I got here at 11:00 pm Friday). I am taking occasional pain killers but I wanted to be awake for visits yesterday. I finally slept last night and I woke up this morning crying my eyes out. I'm worried. I'm drinking a ton and my urine is dark yellow. I have pain every time I eat anything and I'm not on a restricted diet in here. I had severely low potassium as well and have been wearing a heart monitor and they out me in a cardiac floor. I am also having magnesium in my I've because that was low as well. I feel like I'm going nuts in here. I took some Miralax early Friday and was able to have a small bowel movement after not having one for several days and not I haven't had one since. I also have a hiatal hernia, gerd, and Barrett's esophagus so it's hard to pick the foods. I miss my kids. I keep on panicking and painkillers just cause constipation. Thanks for listening.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You poor thing. I was in hospital for a week just before Xmas. I have same problem as you. Iv antibiotics make me feel lousy but I can  tolerate them, the ones you take orally., they make me so sick.  I cannot eat or drink. Keep us posted. 
    • Posted

I am home. I just took my night time dose of medicine. I ate some bland chicken which I hope stays down. This has been a lot worse than last time. I'm not even sure what caused it. I don't remember eating anything out of the ordinary. I don't know how long it's been coming on. Thank you all for your support and comments. I appreciate you all.

• Posted

Hi Kim

Glad you are home. I was in hospital last week with the same .

I've only managed to eat jacket potato and dry toast all week .

The antibiotics do knock you about . I still feel yucky .

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Aw poor you so sorry to hear what you have been though, and so hope you are feeling better, please keep us posted, this is really a horrible disease DD, just wish That their becames a cure, Drs don,t seem to no much about it,what to eat, is my problem, so as not getting a flare up, like myself the only help ive had is this wonderful forum and all the people that suffer too,take care get well soonx
    • Posted

I've been eating toast too but my stomach still hurts. Are jacket potatoes instant where you just add water?

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up