Hot knee after total knee replacement

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had total knee replacement over 14 months ago. Still experiencing hot burning sessation in this knee that wakes me up each nite. Surgeon advised that this was nerve pain and would lessen and stop after about 6 months. 

14 months after the replacement the nerve pain continues unabatted. 

As well experience daily soreness on underside front of this knee. 

Is the experience of anyone so long after a total knee replacement?

Appreciate hearing of other people's similar experience.

Many thanks

Pete 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You could be at the right end of the curve...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-recovery-bell-curve--563756

Unusual but there are people out on the fringe.

Anyway...  Try a topical anti-inflammatory:

- The OTC stuff may be crap.  I say that equivocally only because some of them actually work for people.  Placebo?  Who knows.

- The best you can get from a doc is called Voltaren Gel (RX in the USA).  GREAT to use right before bed.  Rub in a bit; works in 15 minutes.  Excellent stuff.

- The #1 topical AI on the planet is called simply "lotion" and is available in dispensaries in states like Colorado in the US (if you have the correct medical card) and probably elsewhere around the world.  Works in literally 5 minutes.  Doesn't get you high...just relieves pain.  Amazing stuff.

I'd consider some of these options.

• Posted

Hi Pete. Di here in Australia. I am 10 weeks after 2nd knee and 2 years after first. My 2 yo knee still sometimes gets hot wHen i have done too much. Do you ice the knee at night? Maybe if you ice before you go to bed, it might stop it heating up during the night..i still get relief from ice even after so much time. Also if your other knee is playing up, as sometimes happens, you may be putting more weight on your replaced knee..

Also how about trying a different sleeping position. A nerve may be being irritated. There is a nerve, the perineal nerve, which goes from your hip area, through your knee, to your big toe. If your knee hurts at night when you move your big toe, it could be this nerve and could be referred pain.

I hope these suggestions a little help.

• Posted

Hi Pete,

I am so sorry that you are having burning pain in your knees. My tkr is almost a year in april. I have my knees that feel hot at night when I go to bed. It is not a hot burning feeling, but I may have what you had with the nerve pain as I fell on both my knees which I had the other done last dec but that one was only a partial. what I have and was wondering if you do also is. when I sit down and get up my knee clicks and snaps and it is like the metal & plastic is moving, It is a sharp pain that shoots down my front knee. Both of my knees hurt so much. I sit in epsom salt to try to calm the pain down. also both my knees on the inside of my legs just below the knees are swollen bad and my doctor said that is fat. I never had that before and I do not have it anywhere but since i had the surgerys both of my knees & legs kill I can hardly walk at times. I will see my Orto Doc this month and if I still have the pain he will make an appt to go back in and clean out scar tissue. do you or anyone have anything like this happening to them I can not stand it anymore. It gets in the way of my life. I hope the pain ends for you & I will it ever go away? also do you know how to get sweeling in my legs to go away? I hope you find out what is really causing your burning feeling. That is awful. Some times I wish I never did this. Thanks< Terry 

• Posted

Please make sure you have no infection,, have them run some blood work.
  • Posted

Hi Pete,sorry you're still having trouble with knee being HOT. I am 6 weeks post Tkr & mine is still on fire. I ice it day & night . I was going to ask you or anybody else whose has had the experience how to get the SCAR to calm down. The nurse said not to put anything on it for @5 weeks as it hadn't fully healed. Now it has I be tried. Bio oil but it made it smart & ho red, I've also got E45 cream but fear wound will react. Hope someone can help & advise me . Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.