Hot tub, would you attempt?

Posted , 8 users are following.

i am so itching to soak in my hot tub. The temp is not high, my scar is all healed and I'm 4 wks po. If I could soak in a Epson salt bath it would be wonderful but I know I won't be able to get in and out of the bath. The last tkr my surgeo told me at 6 weeks to go for it. 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anne. I too can't wait to soak in the bath. I'm 5 weeks post op and would prefer to wait until I see surgeon at 6 week checkup on the 13th June. I've read so much on here about infection that I don't want to take the risk. That's my opinion. Best of luck
    • Posted

We are both the same. I see my surgeon on June 13 as well. My pt said that I could soak in a Epson salt bath so m thinking it should be he same. I haven't tried either yet. Just getting brave I guess. Yesterday I was able to go up stairs one foot at a time. !
  • Posted

hi anne im 14 weeks tkr and still using shower over bath i was nearly tempted to try bath this morning but scared i cant get back out would appreciate any tips from other tkr patients
    • Posted

Hi Gerrans. At 14 weeks I would say you are ok to have a bath. I know how scary it sounds. Do you have grip bars at the side of your bath? I got one and find it great for having a shower and getn in and out. Im 5 weeks post tkr so will try a bath once I get the go ahead from surgeon, take care
    • Posted

hi nuala thanks for your reply yes i have grips at the side of bath but when the bayh was installed they were put on the inside of the bath so i would have to turn fully around and go on my knees in bath and try to push myself up to get out if that makes any sense
  • Posted

I had my clips out at 3 weeks post op new dressing was left on for a couple of days i then spoke to the practise nurse who told me it was ok to take a bath which i did it was bliss . Didnt put anything scented in the water the 1st time just be careful getting in and out of the bath
  • Posted

Anne I think I waited until around 7. Weeks before I got up the courage to try a bath. I was nervous but it was fine. And loved it.  But you need to decide when you are comfortable. I was bending over 100 at the time. Cathy
    • Posted

thanks cathy im gonna give it a try il let you know how i get on
    • Posted

hi cathy ive finally done it i was terrified to get back out but i managed by turning round on all fours and actually kneeling on my knees i kept getting stuck to thenon slip bath mat but i managed lol
    • Posted

gegrane congratulations!  I bet it felt wonderful. I got out the first time using my arms to push me up but greatfull no one was watching. No a pretty sight.  Now you know you can do in the future.  
    • Posted

hi cathy thanks it was great but i was terrified to get out and believe me i know the feeling of being glad knowone was there lol
  • Posted

Hi Anne~

I did take a bath at week 6 but was very careful.  It was a little scary at first but it sure felt good...It's a nice treat to all the icing that we have to do.

Hope you enjoy it when you decide the time is right.

smile

• Posted

I DID it! I got in and out with a bit of help for support. It went perfect. The water is only as warm as I would run a bath. It was wonderful. It didn't cause any more swelling so I think I will try it again tomorrow. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.