Hot water bottle leaving red marks on thighs

Posted , 3 users are following.

I use my hot water bottle everyday in the winter as i get very cold (i do have the heating on and jumpers and im still cold) but ive noticed this red mark on my thighs from when ive been using my hot water bottle (it goes redder when ive had a hot bath) sometimes i go without using my waterbottle for a few days and its still there. Does anyone know what it is? will it go away?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Its called Erythema Ab Igne. or "Hot water Bottle Rash" Its a well known skin condition usually caused by constant use of a heat source in contact with the skin. Perhaps the water in your bottle is a bit too hot.

It is superficial damage to surface blood vessels,so do take more care by wrapping your bottle in a cloth. It may fade and also become pigmented over time,but only if you take care not to expose the skin to direct heat.

• Posted

Marina is right , and put some Shea Butter on it to heal.

I also advice to get one of those wool/cotton mix thermal underwear full body , it's a miracle how they warm you up , a bit expensive though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.