Housework

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi all,

at 6 weeks, I have to decide in the day how much I think I can do, as excersise is important combined with leg up and ice.  Then all the different family and friends visit which whilst taking meds and only getting roughly 3 hors broken sleep at night and 1 hour (if time) in the day.

i am frustrated watching my husband do the " man pegging washing tequinique on the line"  - lol . And I am beginning to see all the other parts of the house that need cleaning, along with slowly trying to pick up a little bit of food shopping.

it is so easy to do "too much". 

I Want my life back, and everybody sees my brave smile and thinks now I have been signed off at 6 weeks, I am able to be nana, mother, daughter ,sister, friend, colleague, oh and a wife and cleaner.

i had thought I would take this time out of work to catch up on the little jobs to save my boredom ( I wish)

i know now what will be said ( look after the leg first) , but it is so hard, as at 58 I have led a busy active life with many family and work commitments.

i just wondered how everyone else is coping with housework at what stage are you hoovering, pegging out washing cleaning, changing beds and all those jobs that expect you to manoeuvre on your knees!!

oh well got that lot off my chest!!!!

just feeling sorry for myself today after a bad night - did too much yesterday !!!!!!!

sue xx

1 like, 22 replies

Report / Delete

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well for one thing 6 weeks is a very short time in the grand scheme of things. I was like you signed off for 6 weeks but realised there was no way that I could go back to work so soon. Was signed off for a further 6 weeks and that was when I felt more human. Started to do more housework, shopping and generally feeling more human. I would say start off with small tasks each day - like cleaning the bathroom one day, hoovering the next and so on. Just don't try too much too soon because it will show the next day with a very sore knee!!!

Make the most of being spoiled!! 😉

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I've read that hoovering is one thing you should leave to someone else for quite a while. . and thinking about it, it does actually tend to make you twist the knee, which is supposed to be bad.  On the one hand, they say that as soon as the operaton is done, the porsthesis is as firm as it will ever be, and yet warn you about making gturning movements on the knee.  I suppose it's the muscles which need protecting???  Changing beds is also a bit of no/no apparently . . .At six weeks, walking is usually pretty good. . which leads the unitiated to think we are totally recovered!  It's all the other things. . climbing stepladders, reaching up to clean windows etc. . which really do take a long time!  Try to forget the dust for a while . . and don't do too much!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Susan, forget the dust.... the carpet I have you can't tell if its been hoovered or not! might be the reaosn I chose it.razz  We did a makeover two years ago and changed to white fitments and furniture....so glad I did you can't see the dust either!  Hubby still in the back bedroom because of my restless sleepless nights. If it was him who had had the op I don't know how he would have coped because he sleeps like the dead each night.  Less sleep for him and he would be like a bear with a sore head!    frown

Its nice to keep things tidy which I do pottering about, upstairs is fairly tidy, bathroom kept clean and sparkling in case of visitors.rolleyes  I have done the washing and pegging out, even ironed the few things that needed doing. But today, filled the washer and the stupid thing has stopped working, won't spin or rinse so phoned for someone to come out in the morning....  But hoovering can wait, hubby doesn't do it like I would .   There is a poem about dusting I will look it out and post...

Feeling a lot better today  despite walking 2-3 miles yesterday and leg stiffened as I reached home...massaged, iced, heat...and elevated..rough night  but fine this morning so getting 'there' slowly.  13 weeks PO, 75 but felt 95 last night.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I made the mistake at 6 weeks to think I could get back to normal.  My knees certainly let me know that I still had to be patient.  I am now 11 weeks & able to more but still have to have rest days if I overdo it. Frustrating, but unfortunately that is the name of the game.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Found this last night....

just to lighten us up a bit..

Dust If You Must

by Rose Milligan

Dust if you must, but wouldn't it be better

To paint a picture, or write a letter,

Bake a cake, or plant a seed;

Ponder the difference between want and need?

Dust if you must, but there's not much time,

With rivers to swim, and mountains to climb;

Music to hear, and books to read;

Friends to cherish, and life to lead.

Dust if you must, but the world's out there

With the sun in your eyes, and the wind in your hair;

A flutter of snow, a shower of rain,

This day will not come around again.

Dust if you must, but bear in mind,

Old age will come and it's not kind.

And when you go (and go you must)

You, yourself, will make more dust.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oh Hazel

Absolutely great, never a truer poem Iv ever read

I will definitely doing something with that -

Probably in everyone's xmas cracker!!

Better still on the kitchen wall ! Lol.

Well sourced !😊

Sue x

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up