How can I controll my obsessive thougths

Posted , 4 users are following.

My obsessive thougths are driving me nuts, cant seem to get things out of my mind, over & over the same things, why did this person say that to me or what did this mean, do they know something I dont & are dropping hints,?

I try watching T.V. to get a break from it but BOOM! there they are again, cant even leave my house as the feeling of people looking at me,& knowing something is just to much, even the people that I've known for years & have always trusted, damn these thougths are driveing me out of control..

does anyone else have obsessive thougths that they have some control over, if so, how..

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Obsessive thoughts is what drove me to a deep dark depression earlier this year.  I started a new job which triggered a massive bout of obsessive thoughts:

-they think I'm thick

-I don't fit in

- Why am I weird

- they think I'm ditsy

- I annoy people

-I hate myself

-she's hates me, he doesn't like me

- When I smiled at him/her, they never smiled back

-my boss just ignored me, I'm going to get fired, then I'll lose my house blah blah  - you know how it goes......

I've been to see a physciatrist and she's said I need CBT. She recommended these books:

Overcoming Depression: A self- help guide using Cognitive Behavioural Techniques

Overcoming Low Self-Esteem Self-help Course

They both get amaizng reviews on Amazon.  I think you really have to put the work into to challenge these negative thoughts...

Funnily enought I have both books at home but never picked them up - but i will now. I WILL COMBAT THIS LOW SELF ESTEEM AND DEPRESSION

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the links with the book titles which users can Google as we do not link directly to selling sites.

• Posted

Hi Kerrie,

Thanks for your reply, yes that all sounds very familiar, I also get the feeling that cars are going to run into me when I walk down the street, although I've not been out for weeks now..

I will have a look at the books you've recomended.

• Posted

I say this a lot but get the book called Feeling Good or the Feeling Good Handbook by Dr Burns -- it is the one all the doctors and therapists use !!
  • Posted

Appreciate al this as well - will look at the books.

I describe the thoughts as a tumble dryer of socks. spins around, then one sock comes foraward, spins at the front for a while then another will join, or replace the other. Out of say 100 socks, there might be 10 at the front at any time. Very mentally tiring. 2h sleep a day.

I design, so a lot of thoughts are about How can I improve something but others are about yeah well, why did she say that? and rehearsing what I should say back or do. Hope this makes sense.

In addition to the books, someone suggested that for some issues, write them down, then 1/2 hour later deliberately tear them up. This seems to force the mind to be happy its down on paper, then to be happy that the paper is gone, and therefore the incident is over. It sort of works asl long as I am happy to get rid of the paper smile

• Posted

Yes, writing is very helpful and therapeutic!
    • Posted

Writing things down allows you to look back and see you can solve problems

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.